Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cape 916

Big Drum and Shark Lines

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on a fly line to use when big drum and sharks are around Cape Lookout in fall. I have a 11wht and 12 wht fly rod and I think I may need a 450 grain to a 600 grain line. Or do I need a heavier grain line like a 650 grain. Any help anyone can give me on a type line and grain to use I would appreciate it.

Also when fishing behind the trawlers should I use a intermediate line or should I be using a sinking line. Or should I be using a heavier rod like a 11 wht and a 500 grain line. Thanks again...

Optimal situation would be to use two set ups. One with a sinker that you can actually cast well and one that lets you dredge max mode. 450-500gr for a 12weight that you can cast well behind the trawlers for albies and to sharks. The other one with a 650-800gr line that will get you deep fast if them Drums stay deep or your dredging for albies. A line that heavy will not really be castable anymore.

Just what Jari said.    I keep two set up for reds--one 11/12 wt with 500 to 750 grain sink tip and the other a 10 wt with a 400 grain sink tip.  The 400 grain RIO Leviathan you can cast like a intermediate on a 10 wt.  I use that set up when they are on top chasing stuff.  If you only have one rig go with heavier sink tip. 

Sharks behind the trawlers --I try and avoid :p