Beachorbust

Party Boat Dogfish

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Headed out on a party boat and I'm thinking we will need to wade through the dogs in search od haddock.

My question is can I leave the skin on let's say half a day as long as i bleed them and get them on ice or will it not be worth eating by the time i clean them up?

Will gutting improve the meat?

Thanks guys.

The problem with many sharks is that the urinate through their skin. Sounds grosser that it really is, but the fish secrete urea through the skin, and if they are not skinned when caught the meat can pick up an ammonia aroma as a result.

3 hours ago, Beachorbust said:

Headed out on a party boat and I'm thinking we will need to wade through the dogs in search od haddock.

My question is can I leave the skin on let's say half a day as long as i bleed them and get them on ice or will it not be worth eating by the time i clean them up?

Will gutting improve the meat?

Thanks guys.

Are you seriously thinking about eating dog fish. That's disgusting. They piss through their skin. If someone tried to keep a dog fish aboard my boat, they would never be invited back again. 

Edited by ThunnusBlue

I ate one i got on the last drop of the day.  It was no more than 5 minutes from when it came out of the water til it was fillets on ice.  Tasted like fish to me.

5 minutes is a long time to not be fishing trying to skin a shark on a crowded party boat.

7 hours ago, ThunnusBlue said:

Are you seriously thinking about eating dog fish. That's disgusting. They piss through their skin. If someone tried to keep a dog fish aboard my boat, they would never be invited back again. 

You should look up how many people eat them and what they use them for.  Don't be so closed minded. 

7 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

Why not throw it back and catch more haddock rather than eat piss?

2 reasons

A) It may be all we catch and if towards the end of the day rhe cooler is looking slim it may be time for drastic measures.

B) I'd rather deal with shark piss than missing a worm or two.

6 hours ago, Danny1199 said:

You should look up how many people eat them and what they use them for.  Don't be so closed minded. 

In India and other third world countries they don't use toilet paper. Should I be open minded about that too? 

26 minutes ago, ThunnusBlue said:

In India and other third world countries they don't use toilet paper. Should I be open minded about that too? 

I guess you never heard of fish n chips huh? You should check out Elias fishing on utube. He does a catch & cook on them.