Stuu

I want to get started building rods: Best "start up" equiptment ?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Dying to get my feet wet building a rod. Obviously have to start slow, but at the same time, I want the rod I build to be a rod I want to fish.

I've done the cardboard box with V cutouts to practice wrapping a guide, but would like something a little better if I am going to wrap a full rod. Also, I would like my initial starter purchase, to be able to expand into something better, if I decide to really get serious eventually.

I see the "stater sets" available at Mud Hole, for about $150 you get a hand rod wrapper, basic drying motor, and supplies.

Is this the best way to get started ? It says it's expandable within their system, but I have no knowledge of theirs or any other systems to compare it to. Should I be looking into used equipment ? (meaning, is there a lot of used stuff for sale, somewhere ? ) 

Any general advice on how you got started, or a starter set, would be appreciated. Thank you.

The best thing I ever bought was a hand wrapper. I got the one from Flex Coat. Rods can be built with the cardboard box deal, but you will shorten your learning curve immensely by using a wrapper that was designed to wrap fishing rods. 

Batson makes a pretty good one that can be had right now (Get Bit) for a bit over $30. That's a good deal. 

To get started,you need: masking tape, nylon thread, 2-part epoxy,scissors, razor blade, and a blank with components. all the rest of that stuff (and I've got most of it) ranges from unnecessary to very, very helpful, but it's not necessary to spend a lot to get started. I wrapped many a rod as a kid with the blank on my knees and my foot providing tension as the thread ran through a book. I'd suggest you build a rod or two on the cheap to see if you like rodbuilding enough to invest in the hobby.

21 hours ago, ccb said:

Point of interest ?   Rod wrappers aren't rich?   But its a great hobby. 

Q: How do you end up with a small fortune as a custom rod builder? 
A: Start out with a large fortune!

On 8/16/2017 at 5:43 PM, ccb said:

Point of interest ?   Rod wrappers aren't rich?   But its a great hobby. 

Not sure I understand what your asking, but, my point of interest is having a rod that is exactly what I want.

I used to ghost build rods and do repairs for local tackle shops.  Back then I had a Dale Clemens rod lathe.  Don't know if these are still available but that or something similar is the way to go for wrapping and for shaping cork grips.   For drying a had a home made rack driven by an old gas grill rotisserie motor.  It could dry six at a time but don't think I ever actually did more than 3.