Sandbar1

Shimano Saragosa drag tightening on its own

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hey all. Hoping I can get some advice on a problem with a new reel.

I recently purchased a new Shimano Saragosa 10000. The drag operates fine on a loose drag and on a tight drag however when adjusted to the middle it tightens on its own when line is pulled out. By that I mean that when line is pulled out against the drag it causes the drag knob to spin and tighten down on its own. The reel is still perfectly fishable but this is bugging me. The shop I purchased it from proved less than helpful and the process of dealing with shimano could be a long process. I would prefer to be able to fish this reel for the rest of the season.

My initial thought was that the drag washers were out of order but it seems they are fine. I will double check them later.

Any other thoughts or solutions would be appreciated.

newer SW model. After further research it seems that this is a common quirk with the SW. The rubber seal used on the drag knob apparently can cause this to happen when the reel is on a low drag setting.

I saw all the great reviews for the Saragosa on this sight. I went out and bought the same 10,000 model your talking about for chunking bait. I had the same issue that when I set the drag light that the drag would tighten on it's own. I spike my rods for chunking so a drag that will tighten on it's own makes 0 sense for a rod you spike. You run the risk of the drag tightening and will run the risk of loosing your rod and reel in a single blow. Thinking I had a bad reel took it back to shop. Looked at another saragossa and the same was happening. Looked at it's sister reel the Spheros and the same thing was happening with it. It is the design of the reel. Like you said the rubber seal touches the drag knob and when the line is pulled out it tightens the drag. I contacted Allan Hawk. He told me that the reel was not meant to be used with a light drag. For my application it is not a good reel to try to exchange it for something else. I truly wish this was stated in the review on the saragossa. It would seem that it would be important in saying if you plan on using this reel surf fishing with a spiked rod that it is "not a good match." I lost quit a bit of money and had to dump the reel. The reel in my opinion is worthless for surf fishing with a spiked rod. May be a great reel for holding and plugging, but not a good reel for chunking and spiking. Alan also said you could grease the seal periodically and that would help, or have a very very good tech sand it down which would compromise the seal. I have thought about doing a post on this so others don't make the same costly mistake I did. 

Hasn't been a problem for me. Then again I plug it at the canal. Besides the fact that the marketing doesn't mention this it is an excellent reel. Caught close to 80 bass on it this week, many over 30 lb. Works great even horsing a fish in against the current.

Sounds like you are happy with the reel and thats all that matters. Just seeing this post reminded me of the issue you spoke about with the drag tightening on it's own which happened to me too. Like I said checked several other reels out and the same thing was occurring. Best of luck Sandbar sounds like you have been tearing them up!!!!

It would seem the friction of the seal against the spool is greater than the friction of the drag knob on the shaft causing the knob to rotate with the spool. Is it possible to make the friction of the drag knob on the shaft any greater? There are some loctite type products that harden on the threads and act as a nyloc type resistance to turning of a nut(knob).

2 hours ago, bunnymoney said:

It would seem the friction of the seal against the spool is greater than the friction of the drag knob on the shaft causing the knob to rotate with the spool. Is it possible to make the friction of the drag knob on the shaft any greater? There are some loctite type products that harden on the threads and act as a nyloc type resistance to turning of a nut(knob).

That would do it for sure..!!

1 hour ago, handi2 said:

That would do it for sure..!!

You go too far!

I don't have a pic currently, but I do have some stainless allen drive bolts that have a red blob shaped substance that has dried/cured on the threads and functions as I have described.

I don't have any of it except that which is on the bolts. I tried regular red/blue/green loctite without any success. Do you know the product and where it can be found?

Check the drag stack. The top metal plate that touches the knob should NOT have notches (the little wings on the side that goes into the groove of the spool). If so, swap that with a middle plate that just look like a washer to the top.