Salty Veins

WTB 2500/3000 size spinning reel

11 posts in this topic

Looking for a decent "budget" spinning reel for my girlfriend, 2500/3000 size, under $100, preferably $50-75. Something around 8-10oz that can hold around 150 yards of 20lb braid. Let's see what you have.

43 minutes ago, ibe333333 said:

I think you can get a Shimano Sedona in those sizes for around that price you're looking for, if no deals show up.

Yep definitely a possibility. Don't think I've heard the best reviews of that reel though. Was ideally hoping for something a little nicer but used to bring down the price.

Quantum smoke 25sz is on sale for $99 with free shipping.  I will send you the website in a PM in case you are interested. 

Best of luck to you,

ATB

3 hours ago, Salty Veins said:

Looking for a decent "budget" spinning reel for my girlfriend, 2500/3000 size, under $100, preferably $50-75. Something around 8-10oz that can hold around 150 yards of 20lb braid. Let's see what you have.

Gently used shimano symetre 3000 FL shipped to you for $60.   PM if interested.  I can have it mailed today.  

I have tried 2, am keeping one,  but find that i favor my Pfluegers.

Which, incidentally, are a fantastic value if you arent interested in any of the other posts here.   Trion, President, Purist in order of increasing price.   GM and and some other places are having awesome clearance sales and all 3 are well within your price range.  Just shop around.    The 30 and 35 sizes seem to line up with the 2500 3000 sizes in shimano.  

OH... forgot to ask.  Fresh or salt or both?   If both I suggest the purist, if fresh only the other 2 will serve wonderfully.

10 hours ago, 55555s said:

Gently used shimano symetre 3000 FL shipped to you for $60.   PM if interested.  I can have it mailed today.  

I have tried 2, am keeping one,  but find that i favor my Pfluegers.

Which, incidentally, are a fantastic value if you arent interested in any of the other posts here.   Trion, President, Purist in order of increasing price.   GM and and some other places are having awesome clearance sales and all 3 are well within your price range.  Just shop around.    The 30 and 35 sizes seem to line up with the 2500 3000 sizes in shimano.  

OH... forgot to ask.  Fresh or salt or both?   If both I suggest the purist, if fresh only the other 2 will serve wonderfully.

Sorry for the delayed response... why do you prefer the Pfluegers? The reel would be for both fresh and light duty salt.

Just now, Salty Veins said:

Sorry for the delayed response... why do you prefer the Pfluegers? The reel would be for both fresh and light duty salt.

OK, so salt, I think you should cross off the president and trion then.  They really arent sealed up at all for splashes in the salt.   

Why Pfleuger over the shimanos?  I havent had one pflue not work flawlessly yet.  Its about 9 for 9 now.  I feel that they are smoother while reeling slack / lure as well as under pressure.  Other disagree, pretty vehemently, but I've given it quite a back and forth to test it out.  Aside from the 'smooth' feel and light weight, I like the bail on them.  Very deliberate.  

I'd love to sell you one of my 2 symetre's (need some $$ for a forthcoming purchase) however IMO you'd be just as well served getting a purist 30 or 35 or a battle 2, and the price difference is insignificant.   

I just ordered (another) penn battle 2 in the 2500 size for my son.  its his favorite.  $61 shipped on a famous site.  They go on sale for less than this now and again.  the 2500 is a great size for light surf/fluke and bass fishing.  

15 hours ago, 55555s said:

OK, so salt, I think you should cross off the president and trion then.  They really arent sealed up at all for splashes in the salt.   

Why Pfleuger over the shimanos?  I havent had one pflue not work flawlessly yet.  Its about 9 for 9 now.  I feel that they are smoother while reeling slack / lure as well as under pressure.  Other disagree, pretty vehemently, but I've given it quite a back and forth to test it out.  Aside from the 'smooth' feel and light weight, I like the bail on them.  Very deliberate.  

I'd love to sell you one of my 2 symetre's (need some $$ for a forthcoming purchase) however IMO you'd be just as well served getting a purist 30 or 35 or a battle 2, and the price difference is insignificant.   

I just ordered (another) penn battle 2 in the 2500 size for my son.  its his favorite.  $61 shipped on a famous site.  They go on sale for less than this now and again.  the 2500 is a great size for light surf/fluke and bass fishing.  

Thanks for the input. Probably will go with the Purist or a Battle.