Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maine Guide

Need Electrical Help - Mosquito Magnet Cord

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

So, my trusty mosquito magnet gave out in Maine. Shortly after one year warranty of course. 

Help line says says to get power cord checked by a Radio Shack. Good luck. Before I have the power head checked I figure I would test the cord. Pulled out the multimeter and checked some youtubes but I don't think I'm doing it right. Anyway, can someone chime in on where to set the dial on the MM. I believe ohms, but which level?  Then do I simply attach the positive lead to the plosives end of the male that goes into the outlet?  And the negative lead to the positive end of the special plug that goes into the power head?  Thanks all.  

IMG_0227.JPG

Do you know what voltage is supposed to come out of the special plug? AC or DC and what voltage. 

I'd plug it in and test for voltage at the little special plug. Are there fuses in the power supply?

11 hours ago, Kml said:

Do you know what voltage is supposed to come out of the special plug? AC or DC and what voltage. 

I'd plug it in and test for voltage at the little special plug. Are there fuses in the power supply?

Here is a pic of the power supply in question. It is about 50 feet long in total. 

IMG_0228.JPG

You should be getting 12vac from the little plug with the power supply plugged in.

You could test the ohms from across the AC wall plug just to see if there is resistance there. I don't know what the correct reading is but it should not be OL open line. 

You did inspect the wiring for any breaks?

Set the meter to 200V AC (~). Plug the power supply into the wall. Touch the meter probe leads to the connector. One on the inside contact. One on the outside contact. The polarity does not matter because it is AC voltage. The meter should read 12.0. Be careful not to short the inside contact  to the outside contact. Try taping the connector to a piece of wood if it moves around too much.