Costs of Ownership

Rate this topic

hoakge12000

I am in southern NJ,Boat cost can vary depending on what you choose too many options to speculate.

I have an 06 Wellcraft 290 Coastal cost run from 60K to 85k depending on condition and equip.

Slip cost+winter storage+shrink wrap + insurance= approx 5k

utilities for A/C (w/e) fridge 24/7 about 15$/mo in season

NJ registration= 58$

Basic engine maintenance (DIY) per 100 hrs running (basic filters fuel + oil and filter) about $150 per eng.

Hope this helps 

greg

About 30% above whatever you expect. Just is.  Also you will buy a lot of new "toys" for the boat that you "need".  

Ive only had my boat two years.  Used 17' cc and each year I sink $1000 on various repairs and stuff.   This is beyond normal storage and maintain existing.  

I would consider a boat around 23 feet. Don't know what your budget is or what kind of fishing you plan on doing. There is a regulator 23 with a newer yami 250 on Craig's in the mid 40s  I'm sure he would take 40. That boat will take you all the way off shore if you desire and run you out the inlet through some decent stuff without pounding or making you sweat. If that's not in your budget make sure you do research on brands and rides of different boats before you pull any triggers..

as for cost cost of ownership it's not to bad on a single engine center with minimal utilities on the boat. There are a ton of slips along the south shore I'm sure some with minimal utilities will run cheeper prob 700-1500 a year and others at clubs and marinas will

run 1500-3000 for a 23. Most places electric and water is included if it's a marina. Insurence is 250-700 depending on the cost of the boat. Again a single engine winterization shouldn't be too bad and I would estimate maint and winterization around $1000 a year. Storage is where you may have to pay if you don't have a trailer and a place to store. ... been down this road with an 18 angler trailered 20 angler trailered ... partnered up on a 250 luhrs open in water sold beofre we could store / winterization a regulator 26.. awesome boat jumped up to a Grady 306 with my partner. Last 3 boats in montauk ... now looking to branch out to a 35 henriques immbudgeting 10-15k a year between dock winter maint and storage. 

Edited by Sidewinder
"I KNOW ITS HURTING YOU, BUT IT'S KILLING ME"
(AVENGED SEVENFOLD)

• 2 years later...

I've probably owned close to twelve boats in my life, at one time I owned four at the same time. Different boats for different purposes. The type of boat you need really depends on how you plan to use it and what weather conditions you expect to boat in. These days I fish an older Carolina Skiff 198DLV which is powered by a 90hp Suzuki 4 Stoke. It's rated for up to 12 people but very roomy and stable for my typical 2 or 3 crew trips. I can run around all day on a few gallons of gas. She trailers easy and I can buy cheap ethanol free fuel at most any convenience store. Simple systems allow me to do most repair work and my annual maintenance at the dealer is quick and cheap. Fixed cost on a paid for boat like mine would be under $1,500 plus whatever fuel, bait, ice, toys I but and that cost is dependent on how many trips I make - I'd estimate $50 per trip. But with a smaller trailered boat you have to pick your days. In seas less than 2 feet I can make a fun run to offshore reefs. Anything rougher I hook a ride with a buddy with a big expensive offshore boat. I bring cash for gas, help clean the boat when we get back and always stop by the local Golden Coral and carry out a big bag of food for the trip. That combination gets you another invitation every time.  I've learned to let others experience to joys and expense of big boats and will stick with smaller boats from now on.