Bravo06

Fishermen or kayaker first?

19 posts in this topic

Ive been a fishermen for 55 years, yaker 10+, don't really remember! And, for the most never gone back, I do go on a one headbeat now and then to bust my buddies chops, or when I have something going on health wise. I have three yaks now and a trailer, need to get rid of some.:beatin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely fisherman first. Did the party/charter/tag-along trips since I was a kid, fished out of an old town squareback canoe throughout my teens and now very happily fish from a hobie. But w/o a rod in my hand, I wouldn't be on or near the water lol...

 

I also need to hit up my favorite party boat before this (crappy) fluke season is out. People used to think I work deck...I'm there 3 times a week during the season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, fisherman first!

 

I believe 95% of kayak fisherman wet their lines from shore first then from a watercraft!

 

As for having multiple yaks, that might be a bit much. Can't really see a need to keep more than one unless you keep them in different locations, say like one at home, one at the beach house or one at the lake house, so you don't have to haul them around all the time.

 

I used to have 2, one for home in MA and one for my brother's house in NH.

I ended up giving it to my sister.

 

If I do end up getting another one (new) I will be getting rid of the old one.

Edited by FishermanTim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fished summers as a kid and teen, often out of canoes, but when I started White Water kayaking in my late twenties I hadn't been fishing much in a decade. In my 40s as my son got old enough to fish it became something for us to do together while visiting my parents out on Long Island, and I became more passionate about it.

 

Eventually it seemed like a no-brainer to combine my two sports, first with an old beat-up Grumman canoe and then sit-on-top kayaks. So I don't think I have an easy answer about which came first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Definitely fisherman first. Did the party/charter/tag-along trips since I was a kid, fished out of an old town squareback canoe throughout my teens and now very happily fish from a hobie. But w/o a rod in my hand, I wouldn't be on or near the water lol...

 

I also need to hit up my favorite party boat before this (crappy) fluke season is out. People used to think I work deck...I'm there 3 times a week during the season!

Yeah, me too, on the Sea Hunter, if you ever get on there ask for RJ

Edited by Bravo06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FishermanTim said:

Yeah, fisherman first!

 

I believe 95% of kayak fisherman wet their lines from shore first then from a watercraft!

 

As for having multiple yaks, that might be a bit much. Can't really see a need to keep more than one unless you keep them in different locations, say like one at home, one at the beach house or one at the lake house, so you don't have to haul them around all the time.

 

I used to have 2, one for home in MA and one for my brother's house in NH.

I ended up giving it to my sister.

 

If I do end up getting another one (new) I will be getting rid of the old one.

I have a Outback as my main yak, Ocean Malibu Tandem for me and my 7 year old daughter and a Native Propel 10, I got so cheap at Jersey Paddler when they went out of business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fisherman 1st. As I still enjoy wading the rivers also. Kayaking for me is just a way to get to the spots I cant otherwise. But I do enjoy the method of transportation on the way to the spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been fishing out of  a kayak for 20 years and out of a single man canoe for about 6 years before that.  I guess I was ahead of the curve.  I've never paddled to just paddle.  I've always fished out of the kayak and that was it's sole purpose.  I started out of a kayak because they are faster, more stable and have less wind surface area then a canoe.

 

If you think 3 is bad and to many I have 4 and about to buy #5.  I will admit one will be up on the chopping block soon.  They all have different purposes.

 

I have a Coosa HD for bass fishing

A Native Ultimate 14.5 for when I have to drag one through the woods or take my dogs with me

A Hobie Pro Angler for saltwater (Want to buy it?)

A Hobie Outback for saltwater

Thinking about getting a 10' something that light for hiking to inaccesable ponds

Edited by willf650

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, willf650 said:

take my dogs with me

Off topic but curious to know how the pooches behave in the kayak ? Have they ever jumped over to chase something or to just swim on a whim ?

Edited by vce12342000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, vce12342000 said:

Off topic but curious to know how the pooches behave in the kayak ? Have they ever jumped over to chase something or to just swim on a whim ?

It depends on the dog.  I had a lab that was fine in the boat but she wouldn't lay down and I was always worried she would roll me.  She was 100# so that was a real concern.  I used to drop her off at on the bank of some of the tucked away ponds I would fish only to have her swim accross the pond to me.

 

My current to dogs are different.  One is fine and she will snuggle up between my legs as I paddle.  Doesn't care one way or the other about anything.  The other one is a terror. She always staring at the lure to attack it and attacking every fish I catch.  I only take my current dogs when my girlfriend isn't going to be home and they will be locked in their crate.  Both have jumped out.  The sweet one when I was next to some grass and she thought it was land and had to go to the bathroom.  She got a big supirse and swam for the first time in her life.  The other leaped out to chase a beaver.  

 

100# of sweetness

  IMG_9749-L.jpg

 

25# of terror

2014-06-28%2015.12.40-L.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.