Africaster

How much have you learnt from watching others ...

68 posts in this topic

... versus learning from your mistakes/trial and error.

Kayak fishing is a relatively newish alliteration of an age-old sport. So new in fact, that the local authorities still aren't sure whether to treat a kayak as a boat, or as a surfboard (see dbjpb's various threads where he's tried numerous times to get the powers-that-be at IBSP to allow kayak launching from the ocean side). 

This "lack" of regulatory oversight has resulted in the kayaking community creating its own set of common sense guidelines, primarily to prevent any needless loss of life or property, but also to self regulate to such a degree that it negates any bureaucrat's instinctive urge to impose his (or her) vision of utopia on us.

A massive shortcoming to this "underground" persuit, is that the sport's etiquette is still evolving, and the only way that new entrants are able to learn the "dos and don'ts", are by watching others in action and from researching the interweb's vast submissions. This places a responsibility on everyone making any type of publicly accessible assertion, to be cognisant of the fact that there is a rapidly growing audience out there of people new to the sport, whom are learning from reading your posts ... even if your perception is that you are bulletproof, and therefore do not need to wear a PFD, don't encourage the uninitiated to follow your asinine beliefs by posting your shortsighted practice ... would you like your kids to not wear a safety belt just because they read somewhere that some bloody idiot felt that they were a waste of time, contrary to all proven statistics?

Apologies for the rant, but narrow mindedness just irritates the crap out of me ... especially when it could contribute to  unnecessary oversight by another bureaucracy. Carry on.

I'll bite first :hooked:

I'm from the school of thought that I never stop learning & I can appreciate being reminded from time to time of things I consider important,  not just with this topic but with life in general,  i pick up new ideas from time to time,  different perspectives or opinions on the same subject are what drives one to make his own educated decision,  especially if starting from zero knowledge of a given topic.

So

if it's a pdf were talking about here,  I agree,  I like to wear mine when I'm working  any water in the salt, ya never know what's gonna happen,  this isn't just a new discovery for me, it's just a personal preference,  I have people that depend on me to come home.

I fish alone 100% of the time & most of the time its in the dark or the wee hrs of the night, no one's gonna help me should I lose contact with my kayak for some unforeseen reason........

Best regards......

I've learned a lot from other people as far as fishing techniques. When it comes to actual kayak techniques, I've been self taught. I spend most of my time in heavy current at night and have learned how to fish bridges, which has taught me a lot. Also fishing a PA14 gives you a lot of confidence too.

I think any body learns from watching like tying shoes or a knot but it's more of listening to others. For me I learned most of my fishing knowledge from elders that been there done that. Thats something most of the time they cant show you so to listen and figure out what they just said is a great way of learning instead of going through mistakes that could be prevented. Always have an open mind and just have an ear for what others have to say. I think everybody's idea make for one great one.  

I've been sailing since I was 7, whitewater & flatwater canoeing starting at 12, whitewater kayaking at 27,  salt kayak fishing since about 2007 when I was 45. All but the last I learned from people I paddled with, but by that time I knew quite a lot about paddling. Because I prefer to fish my home waters and there's few kayak fishermen here I've rarely fished with others, but I've learned an immense amount in this forum.

Most important to the OP, on whitewater I learned what risks are worth taking, and what are not. And how little control you have when things go to hell. Thank God I never lost a friend, but I did know people who lost their lives, and was on rivers when someone died. From my chair I can see a signed copy of a NY guidebook whose author died the following year. My illusions of invulnerability were washed from me.

It's hard to watch my 18 year old son pursue rock climbing, though he is as responsible as an 18 year old can be. Risk is subjective, and the bright line separating perfectly safe top roping from Alex Honnold climbing 3000 ft El Capitan without a rope is obviously becoming less clear to him. I see a PFD and other safety gear like a climbing rope, not using it seems to be foolish, and tempting fate.

As far as safety, I'm not an advocate of learning by watching others. If they are successful, maybe they were lucky. If not, maybe they were unlucky or just unskilled. Who knows? 

With forums, posts, videos, and book learning, some of what you get that way will be good, some will be really bad, and most will be in the middle.

I find there is no replacement for common sense, experience, and keeping an open mind.  And there is only one way to get experience. I'm not suggesting you jump off a cliff to see what happens when you hit the bottom, but continually pushing your envelope a little is a great way to go. As the saying goes, if you don't want to do anything wrong, don't do anything. There is no reward without a measure of risk.

I have learned a good amount from this forum. Also learned a good amount from the old kayak fishing forum that no longer exists. Unfortunatley

I have learned many lessons the hard way.   Most people on this site are very helpfull. I find they are even more helpfull in person when you see them

on the water.  Thanks Tim for creating this site.  I have gotten some great advice on this site. Most people have made the same mistakes

that I have at one time or another.  Some tips I have learned on this site.

As I age I tend to forget more things.  I have a standard list I check before I depart on a trip.

Also a good idea to check drain plugs in kayak before I launch.  I have launched with them open before. Not good in the ocean.

Also I age my bladder gets weaker. I always bring an empty peanut butter jar  to use when nature calls.

I always let someone know where I am going and when to expect me back.

I try to bring enough safety gear with me when I launch, Compass, pfd, whistle, vhf radio, gps, cell phone. pump.

I try to dress for immersion. As I age the cold water seems to effect me more. I used to be comfortable in a wet suit until November.

Not anymore. This old body needs a  dry suit.

Don't forget to zip up your relief zipper after you fill your peanut bar jar. The water in the surf zone gets cold in november.

Tight lines and be safe out there.

1 hour ago, kross57 said:

I find there is no replacement for common sense, experience, and keeping an open mind.  And there is only one way to get experience.

While I do agree to a point that you don't know your limits unless you push them, unfortunately that's a hard school when you get to upper levels. It would not be good if everyone had to learn to buckle their seatbelt the hard way.

This sport got life by the injection of new ideas. What we didn't have, we made. There could be a whole book written on fishing techniques as well. Take the Tube and Worm. It was Jon Shein that introduced the tube and worm to the kayak fishing community. That was a huge contribution. Slappy was fishing 9" slug-go's back in the day, and then started throwing 13" hogys and now people started throwing big rubber. I jumped on that bandwagon too. I loved it.

"There isn't one way", should be the war cry in this sport. That's where I agree narrow minded will miss out.

2 hours ago, barrell said:

Ive learnt what not to do by watching others.

I have leared many valuable lessons by seeing what can go wrong and experiencing what can go wrong. Weather it be flipping, failed surf launch/ landing, loosing fish, loosing gear, crazy strong currents... I learned a lot from all those experiences. I wear my PFD at all times and use common sense. I just got back from Maine, while up there i was kayaking out in the ocean when a thick blanket of fog came and reduced visibility to only a few feet. Luckily i could hear people on the beach in the distance and make my way back. I should have set a waypoint on my electronics, i will now! I also lost my mirage drive because i didn't have it leashed and had to pull it while fighting a tuna because it was wrapped on it.

15 minutes ago, glos said:

nothing

as far as I`m concerned they all do something

wrong

I love it. That's about as Narrow Minded as I have ever seen.

8 minutes ago, odiemike86 said:

I should have set a waypoint on my electronics, i will now! 

Yup, I always set a waypoint at launch. Some of those beaches are hard to find your launch even with no fog or dark. Also, get a compass in case the GPS craps out.

25 minutes ago, glos said:

Nothing, as far as I`m concerned they all do something wrong

Yet few do it ALL wrong, so there's always something to learn from what they're doing right. Someone might be crap at catching fish but a genius at rigging their boat.