Livliner

VS Line Lay vs VSX

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I have read about line lay issues with the VS series and the work around by spooling line with a hump in the center.  Currently have a VSX 250 for surf and sand. Excellent distance and line lay but considering a smaller VS series for lighter applications. For those who have used both series, will I be disappointed with the VS compared to VSX in casting distance and line lay or is that line lay issue overblown?

Other than the line lay modification and the drag clicking sound, is the VS and VSX still basically the same reel? I had assumed so, but have heard some various complaints (mostly with the sealing)

I don't own a VSX but do own & have owned multiple reels in the VS series (150, 200's, 250).  I personally have not considered casting distance & line lay to be issues for me.  To be clear, yes - the line lay on the VS series is not perfect but I never found it to have any adverse affects on reel performance.  I'd be curious to know how the two series perform in a side by side comparison of casting distance with the same rod, line & caster.  My gut tells me that the difference would be negligible.

From what I understand (and can vouch that it appears to have some substance regarding the smaller 100/150 VS reels), is that while all the reels (meaning the VS series) show evidence of, it was more prone to cause issue on the larger sizes...

2 hours ago, albacized said:

... it was more prone to cause issue on the larger sizes...

When you say "cause issue" on the larger sizes, I'm not sure what you mean.  Yes - the VS's aren't the best at laying line but not sure I'd categorize this as an "issue".  To me, issue = problem and in my experience the uneven line lay, while maybe not aesthetically desirable, isn't functionally problematic.  I think Van Staal did the right thing by improving the line lay with the VSX but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a VS series - especially since they can be gotten at a considerable discount.

Edited by vinnyb

Thanks for responding with your insight & opinions. The reason I'm micro managing the differences between the VS & VSX is because I was surprised at the long casting distances i am getting with the VSX, nearly the same as a long spooled Ultegra 5500XSB. Didn't expect that and now I'm spoiled. Hopefully I'll run in to someone locally with a 150 in either variety to try out. If not I"ll subscribe to the old adage " Buy once , cry once" and get the VSX. Don't usually need distance casting when fishing ledges and boulders but I like having that option.

Fair enough & I agree - if you're not going to be 100% happy with the VS then best to spend a few extra bucks to get what you really want. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Livliner said:

Thanks for responding with your insight & opinions. The reason I'm micro managing the differences between the VS & VSX is because I was surprised at the long casting distances i am getting with the VSX, nearly the same as a long spooled Ultegra 5500XSB. Didn't expect that and now I'm spoiled. Hopefully I'll run in to someone locally with a 150 in either variety to try out. If not I"ll subscribe to the old adage " Buy once , cry once" and get the VSX. Don't usually need distance casting when fishing ledges and boulders but I like having that option.

If you did not notice any difference between the ultegra and VSX then there are two options:

1 your casting skills sucks

2 the rod you were using is not a good match to Ultrgra.

considering either option, you won't notice any difference between VSX and vs.

FYI levari the Ultegra was matched with a Shimano Tiralejo 10'6 as promoted by a Shimano rep as a matched combo so I doubt it is the rod. My casting skills are good, and I said nearly as far. The VSX 250 with its large diameter spool is just that good.

Define "nearly as good."  What distances are we talking?  

I personally have never had an issue with the regular VS150.  Shop spools it with a hump and it's all good.  Only you can answer how much a couple hundred bucks matters to you.  

Same line as well? When I used to switch from my vs150 to my Stella 6k I would get a noticable gain. Would imagine that would be significant with longcast so am interested if you have any numbers as well? I never thought that VS were very good casting compared to my Shimano/Daiwa stuff because line kinda balloons off the spool