Welder78

New reel suggestions. Noob

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hello Sol. Just joined been lurking for a lil. I recently moved to South Carolina from Michigan. We went to Tybee island a few months back and fished from the pier. Caught some nice sharks and rays.

Now I am absolutely hooked on ocean fishing freshwater doesn't do nothing for me anymore. I wanna go all the time lol. It's amazing how everything is so much more aggressive and the fights. Can't wait to get off the piers and try surf fishing for sharks.

For now I'll be a weekend warrior. We're about 2 hours from the coast where we live at in S.C. and I'll take some trips during the week if I have it off work. So I'll need a good set up for pier fishing, and something I can take on the surf to start learning.

I was dead set on getting a Daiwa bg 8000. But Amazon does not have them listed anymore only 6500??? What happened to the 8000. Now my dad has an Amazon card, said that he would purchase a reel for me with it and let me make payments on it. 

So now do I wait for the 8000 to be listed again. Or since I can make payments which is no problem do I go for a penn slammer 3 a gosa or go with the bg. I can go anywhere from 100 bucks for the bg or up to 250 and make payments.

I drive my gf crazy talking about ocean fishing. This is something I seriously wanna get into 

The BG's and Gosas' are proven reliable reels.  Do you really need an 8k sized bg?

Is the rod you're going to be using capable of withstanding those heavy drag pressures which would be the only reason to get such  huge reel.

I have a bg5000 on a 10'6" TFO and it works fine for most applications (surf, canal, plug, jig etc). I assume you'd be looking for a more stout rod for piers, but the 5000 or 6500 would be fine I'd say. 

Penn battle 2 is a nice reel as is the bg other recommended. Two solid reels that in the proper size can do alot in saltwater. You dont have to spend more than this for the vast majority of spin fishing. 

I'd rather a Saragossa or the slammer 3 in a 8000 size for sharks from the surf. Both great reels and will do nicely for that application. Paired with a heavy 11-12 foot surf to lob 8 and bait. If you are fishing heavy surf you want the longer rod to clear the breakers.

You know, now that I think about it, I still think a BG is great, but a used 704z would work too. Can be had for a good price in the BST or somewhere else. Reason I say that is for 2 reasons:

1) it's a classic reel that will hold up to pretty much anything. Fits lots of rods and has the line capacity, drag, and durability that is proven. 

2) you can learn a lot about reels in general from having one. The simplicity is pretty cool, you can learn to break it down and service it yourself. Loads of great posts on the SOL search and YouTube. 

I'd bet my life there are salts on SOL who still only use a 704 (or greenie/710/706/etc). 

I use the BG now, but my bulletproof backup is a 704, and I also use a greenie for bait and as a lender to friends when they come along. 

Whatever you decide on, maybe consider getting one as a backup and tinker around with it. 

Not to sidetrack you but if you learn to throw conventional it would probably be better than spinning gear for bait fishing but the spinner is better for throwing less weight. 

Hey thanks for the responses! Convential reels will come later when I get better at this surf pier fishing. Or when I'm ready to yak baits out. So that's why I was leaning towards the 8000 to be a lil future proof. And get more line capacity. And for now I'll be a weekend warrior so like to have the gear so I can go after bigger fish. Pier fishing is cool and all but I wanna target bigger sharks and fish from the surf. And I will learn to throw lures and downsize the reel for that. Also the 8000 is no longer a choice on Amazon 

Edited by Welder78

58 minutes ago, Welder78 said:

Hey thanks for the responses! Convential reels will come later when I get better at this surf pier fishing. Or when I'm ready to yak baits out. So that's why I was leaning towards the 8000 to be a lil future proof. And get more line capacity. And for now I'll be a weekend warrior so like to have the gear so I can go after bigger fish. Pier fishing is cool and all but I wanna target bigger sharks and fish from the surf. And I will learn to throw lures and downsize the reel for that. Also the 8000 is no longer a choice on Amazon 

Just remember...look at line capacity if considering 8k shimano vs 8k daiwa.....different animals alltogether

I live in South Carolina and I use a Shimano Socorro 10000 for sharks or bull red's. Mine is loaded with around 300yds of 65lb braid. If you went with the BG, you really don't need an 8000. That's a monster of a reel. The most common sharks here at Myrtle are spinners and blacktips by far. Most of these requiem sharks don't get much bigger than 6ft.

If I were trying to take the economic route, I would go with the Diawa. I keep hearing good things about it. If I wanted to spend a little more money, the slammer 3 would be it.... I guess since you're just starting out go with the Diawa.

So a bg 5000 or 6500 would work just fine? Even on 5 to 6 footer sharks? Also need a good rod recommendation. I'm still gonna fish from piers it's still fun to me. But also like to be able to go down to the surf with it and fish for bigger sharks and fish. 

You don't want the rod to long for better leverage against sharks correct? But you need the length to cast long. I'll probably do like noodles and go 65lb braid or 50

Edited by Welder78

Welder:

Since you talk of going to the surf, I can make a suggestion for your Shark fishing - unfortunately, I cannot address pier, having never fished from one.

I assume surf fishing in South Carolina pretty much mirrors that of Hatteras, N.C. Accordingly, for an 8-n-Bait reel, I would recommend the Penn SSV7500LC, loaded with 50lb PP braid, spliced to 80lb Power Pro Hollow Ace as a shock leader (minimum 5 wraps around the spool, up thru the guides and a sufficient drop to your fish finder terminal tackle.

Your fish finder terminal tackle should consist of a 6ft length of 80lb mono leader material, with the following in order - a 125lb Spro swivel, large bead, braid friendly Fish Finder Sinker Slide, 2nd bead and a clip (preferably a Breakaway fast clip).  Terminal end of your fish finder will consist of a 125lb Spro Swivel, a short (6inch max) heavy leader and a circle hook of at least 8/0 size.  My preference for the heavy leader is 80lb mono leader, crimped to the swivel and snelled to the hook, but some prefer wire.  The short leader, combined with the 6ft slide section, will virtually eliminate helicoptering of the bait on the cast, and greatly help with distance.

My recommendation for a beginner rod is the Breakaway HDX 13 ft rated 4-8 oz.  As you seem to be young, and likely still growing, I strongly suggest the 'Custom Reel Seat Positioning & Wrapped Tip" procurement option.  What I would do is to tape on a Fuji plate type reel seat to secure your spinning reel, until you determine you final reel seat-to-butt length, at which time the seat can be wrapped and epoxy coated in place.