hunter123

Salted clams as bait

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi, All. I was watching a video on u tube yesterday. Senko Captain, He was using  packaged  salt clams as bait. Has any one used these packaged bait yet. How did you do with them.Tight lines.

Buy the clams fresh and salt them. Then put them in freezer and wait a day or two and use them. IMO they retain the same form and are sometimes even harder to rip off the hook.

If it's too mushy, it’s prolly not fresh. You want them alive & firm. As soon as I get them I fill a big bucket w/ sea water and plop them in the for a few mins, they’ll open up, flush & breathe. Then dump the sea water and put in cold cooler. Be sure they don’t touch fresh water. They should be firm enough to stay on hook w/a vigorous cast. If you’re still having trouble, use some elastic thread generally sold at bait shopes that sell clams. 

The above is for whole clams. If using small strips for little bait stealers, then salting may have an advantage.

IMHO

Good luck & tight lines

JD

I've caught any and every inshore species on salted clams, but there is no question that fresh clams work best. Do I keep a tub of salted clams in my freezer at all times? You bet. The salt brine prevents them from fully freezing and makes the salted clams pretty firm.

If you don't live near a B&T store or have access to fresh clams, salted are the next best thing. Frozen clams are mushy garbage, and should be avoided at any and all costs. Salted clams stay on the hook real well; frozen ones are straight mush.

Hey Topwater,

I agree if you don’t have a B&T local to you that sells fresh clams, salted is a good option.

I know pleanty of people who use them w/ good results.

On the other hand, as has been mentioned, fresh is best if possible.

& yes, frozen is mushy crap.

Best Regards!

JD

In the shell use to be easy to find at B&T, nowadays most sell them shucked and most B&T salt them down to preserve them. I miss the fresh out of the shell and never had a problem with keeping them on the hook. 

Sometimes it's all you can find near me, depending on time of year. Seem to catch dogfish and skate better than any other species. Bass will go after them though.