codfish

Cross over lures "fresh and salt"

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Lazy Sunday morning, that said what same lure do you use that you like to use in the ocean and fresh water??

here is one shrimp catching a large mouth bass

lkl.jpe

None really, but the soft baits would seem to be the best candidates. I suppose I could use some of my swimmer plugs and/or a Kastmaster if I were after pike.

Edited by fishinbill

I'm not sure there's any lure that I consistently use in both fresh and salt, which is actually kind of weird when you think about it.  I do switch it up once in a while though.  The biggest smallie I've ever caught in my life was on a 5 1/2" Rebel minnow, and I've caught some monster largemouth on magic swimmers.  Especially effective in any lake or river with a herring run.  They haven't paid off for me this year though; only one fish and it was tiny.  See for yourself and be just as disappointed as I was:

whatisthis.jpg.8eadee0dfc5456846952d0edb6be4ea4.jpg

For salt I've used freshwater rubber worms on bullet jigs with a lot of success.  Works great in the creeks and anywhere else you might find a lot of sandeels, or any small bait really.  I've even drifted them in the Canal a few times and surprisingly enough it works there too.  Drummed up some 30-34" fish to save a trip when they weren't biting on anything else.  I kinda need to be in desperation mode to actually try it though.

Too many to specify for inshore 

estuaries even out for salt

The number of plastics that would work seem infinite. 3/8ths or 1/2 oz jig heads cover both but for further out or for other reasons go to heavier jig heads.

different for lakes rivers ponds streams

lures:  so many some adjusting hardware.

I've caught large smallies on storm shad (targeting stripers), used large spooks in fresh water, and kastmasters and krokodiles for lakers but that's about it.

As mentioned, if my area had more of a pike fishery I'd use more large swimmers in fresh but alas, we don't :(