Heavyj143

GT Recommendation

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Hi All,
In the next week or so I am traveling to Guam to visit some family and while I am there I am looking to fish for some GT that call that island home.  I was looking through the website and I was not able to find anything truly that I was looking for.  I am planning to fish with a 10' ODM 3/4-4oz paired with an Saltist 5000 with ~300yds 40# Samurai braid.  Is that to light to fight GT? I can upgrade the rod to the Black Hole 8' Cape Cod Special if thats to light.  Also, any lure/color recommendations? I am from the North Shore Ma, and I have some larger striper gear, and I am planning on buying some GT Ice Cream lures, as well as possibly a Strategic Angler stickbait.  However, I was hoping there was someone out there that has already done what I hope do and might give me some advice.

Thanks

no experience with gt, but i have fun with their cousins, jacks. i have used the ice cream lure but the surface tension line stretcher lures are the best topwater for me here. i would bring a couple at least..i envy your trip. good luck

I would think 40 lbs samurai braid is too thin. 40 lbs j braid metered might be a better choice. Thicker but ABS will increase to 60 lbs from the 45 lbs of Daiwa Samurai braid. The Saltist 5000 should hold enough of that line. This way you can use higher drag setting if there is more structure than anticipated. 

9 hours ago, Heavyj143 said:

Hi All,
In the next week or so I am traveling to Guam to visit some family and while I am there I am looking to fish for some GT that call that island home.  I was looking through the website and I was not able to find anything truly that I was looking for.  I am planning to fish with a 10' ODM 3/4-4oz paired with an Saltist 5000 with ~300yds 40# Samurai braid.  Is that to light to fight GT? I can upgrade the rod to the Black Hole 8' Cape Cod Special if thats to light.  Also, any lure/color recommendations? I am from the North Shore Ma, and I have some larger striper gear, and I am planning on buying some GT Ice Cream lures, as well as possibly a Strategic Angler stickbait.  However, I was hoping there was someone out there that has already done what I hope do and might give me some advice.

Thanks

Please, bring another rod preferably a beefier surf rod rated 2-5 oz or so 11ft.... if you have a 6000 size Reel that would be good I would keep 400+ yards of line on for just in case! These guys can reach upwards of 150lbs!

The GT ice cream may be hard to get....Roberts Rangers work great too....be sure to upgrade the hardware...

Saltist 5000 is fine to get you in the game, but 40# is pretty damn light.

Fishing for big jacks like GTs you want 65# and 100# leaders...The guys going after the biggest GTs fish 100# and 200# leaders.

Edited by johndtuttle

46 minutes ago, johndtuttle said:

The GT ice cream may be hard to get....Roberts Rangers work great too....be sure to upgrade the hardware...

Saltist 5000 is fine to get you in the game, but 40# is pretty damn light.

Fishing for big jacks like GTs you want 65# and 100# leaders...The guys going after the biggest GTs fish 100# and 200# leaders.

I was able to get some GT Ice Cream sent to me, but I will definitely look into those other lures you mentioned.  I have family there on the island and they say they don't get to big, but it seems like a major consensus  to upgrade the line.  For the leader should I run mono or floro? Or does it depend on topwater versus subsurface lures? And for the leader I am planning on running an FG Knot to the leader then crimp a split ring on the end.  Is that fine or is there a better way.

Thanks Again 

4 hours ago, mark d said:

no experience with gt, but i have fun with their cousins, jacks. i have used the ice cream lure but the surface tension line stretcher lures are the best topwater for me here. i would bring a couple at least..i envy your trip. good luck

Thanks man I appreciate your response.  Any recommendations on colors?

When you say they don't get too big, how big? 15lb 20lb?

If so you can put a lot of hurt on a fish with 40lb line.

GT's love ice creams, what sizes and models did you get?

You could consider 40lb main line to a heavier braid leader (say #60-80lb) for some relief when the fish is ready for landing and handy when casting 3-4oz plugs off your finger, taped or gloved.

Just remember, if you can, to back the drag off when the fish is close by.
Guys here come some pretty big Geets with #40lb ABS line.

1. Thinner line will cast further and get your lure to marks that thicker line wont.

2. Get a hit 1st then worry about landing it, no point in using 100lb braid that limits your casts to a point where you cant get the lure in front of where fish are holding.

3. Tight drag

18 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

When you say they don't get too big, how big? 15lb 20lb?

If so you can put a lot of hurt on a fish with 40lb line.

GT's love ice creams, what sizes and models did you get?

You could consider 40lb main line to a heavier braid leader (say #60-80lb) for some relief when the fish is ready for landing and handy when casting 3-4oz plugs off your finger, taped or gloved.

Just remember, if you can, to back the drag off when the fish is close by.
Guys here come some pretty big Geets with #40lb ABS line.

1. Thinner line will cast further and get your lure to marks that thicker line wont.

2. Get a hit 1st then worry about landing it, no point in using 100lb braid that limits your casts to a point where you cant get the lure in front of where fish are holding.

3. Tight drag

I am not quite sure, but I showed my uncle a * video and he said there is no way they get that big, you don't need to have a license to fish on island, which as you could imagine, is leading to some pretty big problems.  However, he did say 60# or so fish are definitely a possibility.  I was thinking of spooling my reel with 65# Power Pro Maxcuatro. Or should I drop down to 50#? I think that has an ABS pretty close to 60#.  I got the flat face 3oz in I think pearl, I am not sure they only had one option on their site.  I also got the needle nose in 3oz in red head.  I wanted something I could use for stripers and blues up by where I am at.  It looks like you have a GT on your profile photo, so if you don't mind me asking, what kind of leader set up did you use? 

Edited by TimS
channel name removed

Haven't fished for them in Guam but have spent some time in Okinawa doing it using mostly poppers and other surface lures. Over here it's either turn them or lose them, most of the locals favor stopping power over casting distance.

If you have time and opportunity don't neglect the offshore fishing, Guam still has some of the best offshore jigging around.

The line-leader setups we use here will get you some strange looks in the US.

All BS are based on stated, not ABS

Light: 10-15lb mainline FG  to 30lb braid casting leader around 15-20' in length either to a swivel and then mono/flouro of around 2.5'. 1-2oz plugs

Medium: 20lb mainline FG  to 40-50lb braid casting leader around 15-20' in length either to a swivel and then mono/flouro of around 2.5' 2-3oz plugs

Medium-heavy:  40lb mainline FG to 60lb braid casting leader around 15-20' in length either to a swivel and then mono/flouro of around 2.5' 2-4oz plugs

Heavy: 60lb mainline FG to a swivel and then mono/flouro of around 2.5' 3-5oz plugs (set up won't cast well but you can pull hard)