buddha162

PB porgy lol

23 posts in this topic

That's some good eating right there. Can you please show us a video of the part where you throw it in the frying pan and to the plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Riddler said:

That's some good eating right there. Can you please show us a video of the part where you throw it in the frying pan and to the plate.

I refer you to my Porgy: 3 Ways video! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap, that's a real porgasaurus!

Gonna take a newby buddy there next weekend. You've been there a lot more than me, have you noticed any effect of tide stage on the bite?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great video. That fishery has been good for porgy forever, 17" was not uncommon a couple years ago. The hightide there used to give up many keeper stripers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm done catching porgies for now also, caught some giant porgies in the same area.. Maybe it's time to target fluke again

 

 

 

 

IMG_1202.JPG

Edited by LKC3876

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cheech said:

Great video. That fishery has been good for porgy forever, 17" was not uncommon a couple years ago. The hightide there used to give up many keeper stripers.

 

Hmm...maybe I need to recalibrate my porgy goals lol...have you seen 18" from the area??

 

22 hours ago, gellfex said:

Holy crap, that's a real porgasaurus!

Gonna take a newby buddy there next weekend. You've been there a lot more than me, have you noticed any effect of tide stage on the bite?

 

They will shut on and off throughout both tides, I've yet to notice a pattern. Usually I just wiggle over a few yards if I don't get hit within 2 minutes lol. They are literally everywhere last week, from 35 to 5ft!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LKC3876 said:

I'm done catching porgies for now also, caught some giant porgies in the same area.. Maybe it's time to target fluke again

 

 

 

 

IMG_1202.JPG

 

That is a massive porkchop!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, LKC3876 said:

I'm done catching porgies for now also, caught some giant porgies in the same area.. Maybe it's time to target fluke again

 

 

 

 

IMG_1202.JPG

Damn..... Thats a really big porgy or a small net :laugh:. But congrats on that big monster.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2017 at 7:45 PM, buddha162 said:

I refer you to my Porgy: 3 Ways video! 

Dude great job on the PB but awesome cooking video, all three of those dishes looked really great. I definitely plan to try out that sauce you made. I have a question about the sushimi though. I have made sushi and sushimi a few times in the past with yellowfin we caught out of jersey or salmon from the fishmarket but never with any other types of fish. In the fish market I can never really get a straight answer on what is "sushi grade". Are there any guidelines that you follow when deciding whether or not to prepare raw fish? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JCorb said:

Are there any guidelines that you follow when deciding whether or not to prepare raw fish? 

 

Read up on Anisakiasis, caused by a parasitic worm. You'll freeze that fish first, just like the FDA requires of all restaurant sushi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2017 at 4:45 PM, buddha162 said:

I refer you to my Porgy: 3 Ways video! 

 

Awesome video. Makes me want to porgy fish, which I've never done R+R just spearfishing.

 

One question, what knife are you using to chop the veggies? Beautiful looking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JCorb said:

Are there any guidelines that you follow when deciding whether or not to prepare raw fish? 

 

"Sushi Grade" has no legal definition, for a home cook I would suggest only buying whole fish that you can inspect eyes/gills overall appearance at the market. The couple of restaurants I worked in that served raw fish, we purchased whole line-caught fluke/porgies/seabass, and routinely sent back shipments that didn't meet our standards. Now I only work with fish that I catch personally, from bleeding to icing down to butchering I can control the quality and sanitation of the product. 

 

8 hours ago, gellfex said:

Read up on Anisakiasis, caused by a parasitic worm. You'll freeze that fish first, just like the FDA requires of all restaurant sushi.

 

The freezing required by FDA is 7 days @ -4F, and most dedicated raw fish kitchens will blast freeze at lower temperatures for shorter duration. Home freezers generally won't be sufficient to eliminate the critters, esp their eggs/larvae. What it will do is ruin the texture of your fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.