Shocktherapy

Fishing by boat- alone or with others?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

New to the site but been striper fishing for 20 years.  Just curious for the boaters: do you fish with a friend(s) or go it alone?

My boat is 22' and I trailer at the busiest boat ramp in the world (Plymouth) so I usually prefer another person to help. Not to mention I enjoy the conversation while fishing.  But.. it's often hard to find someone that both CAN go more than once a season AND wants to get up at 4:00 am.   I'm a big time early bird so I love it.   Fishing alone has its advantages too.... curious as to what others prefer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prefer having a friend along for many reasons. You could try launching at Taylor's point for Buzzards Bay or Falmouth harbor for the sound, less congestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fished alone for years and really enjoyed it.  Really cool being all by yourself in a boat. I even comm lobstered alone many times.

As long as your boat and engine are in good working order, know your waters,  you're wearing a PFD, have a VHF and phone, I see no reason not to go alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, bob_G said:

I fished alone for years and really enjoyed it.  Really cool being all by yourself in a boat. I even comm lobstered alone many times.

As long as your boat and engine are in good working order, know your waters,  you're wearing a PFD, have a VHF and phone, I see no reason not to go alone.

All good points however having fished out of a boat for a while now, the buddy system like swimming does have its advantages. Having someone in the boat with you should you need help with a hook or with a large fish of size the extra help is well worth the company in my opinion. Fishing the beaches also as you get older is also recommended

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah definitely a plus with an extra person for safety reasons.  I do wear a PDF when alone and I have a plb as well.  I got rid of my ski boat years ago bc it was too hard to find TWO extra people to go every time.  At least with fishing I don't have to have someone.  Sometimes it's not worth the hassle with others schedules, desired launch times, fishing locations/ styles.  Plymouth in August on Sunday is less than ideal alone but I beats sitting at home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an agreement with my wife that I will not go out on our boat by myself.   We have a 23 ft boat and between my wife and adult children I do get out often however I would like to go out even more as no one in my family likes to get up early except me.  Huge problem. I also am very safety minded and feel a buddy system has tremendous advantages. Even though I drink alcohol I do not allow any alcohol on board. Seeing I am about to retire in the next week, if anyone wants to team up and share trips PM me. My boat is on the outer cape and I launch from several different ramps. I also enjoy the company when fishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, whaler1889 said:

I have an agreement with my wife that I will not go out on our boat by myself.   We have a 23 ft boat and between my wife and adult children I do get out often however I would like to go out even more as no one in my family likes to get up early except me.  Huge problem. I also am very safety minded and feel a buddy system has tremendous advantages. Even though I drink alcohol I do not allow any alcohol on board. Seeing I am about to retire in the next week, if anyone wants to team up and share trips PM me. My boat is on the outer cape and I launch from several different ramps. I also enjoy the company when fishing. 

Now that is an offer I would find time to take advantage of , if I did not already have a young friend taking me on his boat when ever he goes out . This is a great offer for sure and on behalf of myself I say thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

solo is the best in my opinion.....nice and quite, peaceful no stress...fish at your own pace. Ive taken a lot of people out this year and they usually end up sea sick, lose or damage a bunch of gear, say they have to leave early. The company is nice but I have a much better time when I fish alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Joppa said:

solo is the best in my opinion.....nice and quite, peaceful no stress...fish at your own pace. Ive taken a lot of people out this year and they usually end up sea sick, lose or damage a bunch of gear, say they have to leave early. The company is nice but I have a much better time when I fish alone. 

For the most part I agree.  I've taken people out who wanted to turn back a half hour into the trip.  Reluctant to show up before dawn. Sea sick. Complain the whole time because they thought it would be better than this.  Have no idea how to fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bob_G said:

Reluctant to show up before dawn.

yup same here...even tho i tell them to be there they still show up late and I'm waiting at the dock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solo. Only take out friends who fish, and the Wounded Warriors when we do an event for them once a year. Some days my departure time is more a function of my morning plumbing as opposed to the clock anyway.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You shouldn't fish on your boat alone.  You should take me with you.

You also shouldnt fish in the south shore or the cape; there are no fish there.  You should fish on the north shore.  Fish are so thick up here you can walk across the water on them.  

Did I mention you should take me with you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit me up any time. I just retired and moved back to Truro last year. I know my way around boats and love to fish. If you like to catch schoolies on light weight gear get in touch. Its been hot from the beach on the right tides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bob_G said:

I fished alone for years and really enjoyed it.  Really cool being all by yourself in a boat. I even comm lobstered alone many times.

As long as your boat and engine are in good working order, know your waters,  you're wearing a PFD, have a VHF and phone, I see no reason not to go alone.

I've got a friend who's been a skiff pinhooker for 25 yrs. I see him almost daily on the Cape, he's a neighbor, and we're always shooting the breeze. 95% of the time he fishes alone, he likes it that way. The few times I've been on his boat have been for tuna, never groundfish. He doesn't want me or anybody else getting any the numbers for the spots he's discovered over the years; I think he protects his book more than he'd protect his wife.

I never fished alone in my boat that much, although I really enjoyed doing that occasionally. I'd still do it for certain species. Like if there were 50# tuna around, or funnyfish, or when bottom fishing is good, for the freezer. Otherwise, in general from a boat, I've gotten to the point where I'm just as happy, if not more so, taking 1-2 people out who haven't caught as many as me, and put them on fish.

Going alone, you're only gonna kill yourself, not an innocent passenger. :wee:

Edited by patchyfog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.