Camren

De River Float Trip info

12 posts in this topic

I just completed my first float trip in the De river that a Nj fly shop put together.

It's was a blast! We canoed down a section that ended in the Matamoras, Pa/Port Jervis, Ny section. 

I'm looking for some recommendations on where I could put together a DIY shuttle trip. Leaving one car st the launch and another car at the landing site.  The trip I was on was $40 a guy so it's a little cost prohibitive.

I've been trying to use google earth to find a route... but it's a lot of private property and I'm having trouble gauging the distance (and therefore how long it would take to complete a trip)

Any recommendations or past experiences are welcomed.

I'm open on locations. I'm basically in between what seems to be the two more popular sections (lambertrville and port jervis)

Also, a second question, I've read a few places that the stretch around the water gap is NOT very good fishing. Any truth to this? 

Thanks guys!

I don't fish the NY section of the big D much, but I know NJ's pretty well. If you go to this link http://njfishandwildlife.com/delacces.htm, it'll show you all the access sites for the Delaware on the NJ and PA side. It's very feasible to do this type of trip with a few friends and two vehicles. You just have to pay for parking at most, not all, launches. It's usually $10-15/day.

As for the Gap, don't go looking for trout. It has the same fish the rest of the Delaware has, but does get fished pretty hard due to its proximity to Rt 80 and major population centers.

Hope this helps.

Imo fishing the Delaware Water Gap near the Rt 80 bridge is a waste of time. I used to fish it alot in my younger years with my dad. Alot of fishing psi during the summer months. Not much structure for fish gravitate to. The NY area is better.  

I've fished dingman's to bushkill access a number of times.  I've been with a buddy and 2 cars or hitchhiked.  You can probably call kittatiny canoes and arrange a ride. Might find an Uber driver up there too. 

7 hours ago, richs said:

I've fished dingman's to bushkill access a number of times.  I've been with a buddy and 2 cars or hitchhiked.  You can probably call kittatiny canoes and arrange a ride. Might find an Uber driver up there too. 

Agree, nice stretch of river.  Don't even need to call kittatny.  Just stand roadside with life jacket and paddle and they'll pick you up on the way back upriver if they got seats in the van. Rose (now owner of  kitatinny) makes it a point for her drivers.  Those college kid drivers will pick you up.

In the lower end, I always liked Dingmans to Smithfield, Raubsville to Lambertville, and Tinicum to Yardley for a shorty.  I have caught trout, walleye, LMB, SMB, crappies, and stripers on these trips. I have seen bears, otters, and eagles. The D is a great place to escape. 

Edited by D1fishr

On 9/1/2017 at 9:27 PM, pat the nat said:

Agree, nice stretch of river.  Don't even need to call kittatny.  Just stand roadside with life jacket and paddle and they'll pick you up on the way back upriver if they got seats in the van. Rose (now owner of  kitatinny) makes it a point for her drivers.  Those college kid drivers will pick you up.

Chamberlain Canoes will also take you upstream if they don't have trips booked so there's someone available. Not sure what they charge, they were not available the day I was looking to go.

Too bad I saw this so late. Monroe County PA runs the Pocono Pony/ River Runner service weekends from Memorial to Labor Day. Takes you (and your canoe/kayak) to sites from the Delaware Water Gap to Milford for free, just pay to park in the site.

I've caught lots of smallmouth and my one and only walleye in the stretch thru the DWG from my kayak. Good luck.

If you want to go a little farther up river. I have a trip that I have taken probably a 100 times. Launch in Narrowsburgh NY. There are public launches on both the NY and PA side. About 8 miles down on the NY side is 10 mile river. Each launch has plenty of parking and descent spots launch a canoe.

On 9/12/2017 at 7:32 AM, usctom said:

If you want to go a little farther up river. I have a trip that I have taken probably a 100 times. Launch in Narrowsburgh NY. There are public launches on both the NY and PA side. About 8 miles down on the NY side is 10 mile river. Each launch has plenty of parking and descent spots launch a canoe.

Thinking of doing this very stretch this Saturday.  Wife wants to bring the In-laws on a float and the west branch is too low for the raft.  

A lot of slow water?   Dont want to be out there for 6 hours.

On 9/12/2017 at 7:32 AM, usctom said:

I've floated that stretch quite a number of times and love it as well.  

I used to drive from Narrowsburg down, leave the car, bike back, and after a day of fishing...the car was there when I arrived.  

For a longer drift, I also did Narrowsburg all the way down to Zane Gray where the Lackawaxen comes in.

But...BIG hill cycling TMR or Zane back to Narrowsburg.

Easier bike, and I many times better fish for me, was the Skinners Falls to Narrowsburg run.  

Launch and Skinners, fish slow down all day.  I loved being the last guy on the river after all the day trippers flushed thru.  Eagles and deer coming out.  Then...as daylight is fading...to get the car...bike cross the bridge at Narrowsburg and take the PA side up to Skinners.  No big hills very enjoyable after a day of fishing.  

I've also paid the Landers guys to shuttle me back a couple times when I didn't feel like biking.  They do both jumps.