brucelieb

First fish- messy setup

33 posts in this topic

20479491_10209887410561783_5539969450497257767_n.jpg.4e8607e7b4498327c6641fa314620cca.jpgIMG_8500.thumb.jpg.3333e744ffc967fc9b1405f90e85daf9.jpgIMG_8501.3gpIMG_8501.3gpANY ADVICE or help????

I put a few images up. I don't know if they will work but I got my first fish! Bluefish and porgies!!! what a great time. My 2000 used Wilderness Ride needed work. Cables replaced, rudder fixed, rigged the anchor, put leashes on rods and paddle and although I took too much stuff ( we were going to fish bait and cast which threw off my game. But I had at the start, at least, everything was secured.   Fished the bay off Montauk.I definitely have organizational issues.. my anchor line is too big all over the place and a pain in the bass.

So here is my tale and I now need advice and to plastic weld and remount my rudder.... My buddy pulling out of his driveway hit a tree. No biggy. Until my rudder, I just fixed, broke. Never to be stopped. I lashed it up and fished...But the screw that pulled out left a  hole just at the water line. maybe an inch above? Does not matter... As I paddled, fished, drifted I began to sink...  I was forced to abandon ship. As I was paddling it was clear I could no longer balance the yak and rather than spill my gear I went in.We off loaded my gear and I tried to paddle to shore. The picture was taken very early close to shore. The mayday abandon ship incident occurred  2-3 hours later very very far from shore. It took me 1.5 hours to swim the yak to a  small island. I drained it and used a plastic bag and a driftwood plug that worked like a charm. Fishing was over for the day. NOW I need to fix it- The rudder. The metal mounting bracket is bent. I figure I could bend/hammer and convince it back to shape or spend $28 bucks on one that might not fit??? Wilderness says there are no parts available for my yak. The guys at Harmony were not too sure if it was a match but I figure I can make it work. I saw another guy talking about a screw torn out. The advice was: first weld it , then re screw or use a bigger screw.  ANY ADVICE or help????

https://www.harmonygear.com/products/2313/Wilderness-Systems-Rudder-

BUT- {• Fits many of the Wilderness Systems, Perception and Mad River kayaks with stern mounting}

https://www.harmonygear.com/products/12265/Wilderness-Systems-Rudder-Block-with-Pin.html?last=

BUT - {Designed specifically for the rudder kit that goes on the Wilderness Systems Northstar Tandem Expedition Kayak}

Edited by brucelieb

1 minute ago, EricJ said:

how many times are you going to create the same post?

Sorry Eric-

I did not know what I was doing and I could not figure out, if it went or then how to delete it. Sorry everyone.. And it is not like it is a 30lb bass that needed to be posted.

23 minutes ago, brucelieb said:

Sorry Eric-

I did not know what I was doing and I could not figure out, if it went or then how to delete it. Sorry everyone.. And it is not like it is a 30lb bass that needed to be posted.

yeah anything less than a 29lb bass should be posted on facebook instead... LOL

hahaha... too much caffeine?

sadly, i don't think we have control over deleting repeat posts here on SoL

in any case, there's a recent thread created about repairs on Hobie Outback... Africaster linked his repair log... take a look,

hope it helps

3 minutes ago, kinghong1970 said:

in any case, there's a recent thread created about repairs on Hobie Outback... Africaster linked his repair log... take a look,

hope it helps

YEAH--- Coffee and lack of Tech know how or support from some 20 year old....But OK thanks . will do...  wish I could delete the whole  damn thing and start fresh.   I guess the only info that I would need is if anyone has specific intel and experiences regarding AN OLD Wilderness Ride? How to fix, get parts, up grade ..adapt???. I'll check out that other thread ... Thanks so much.

Bruce,

try uploading some closeup images of the area you plan to repair.

this is a great community and there are tons of DIY'ers and i'm sure you'll get the help needed.  but that saying... a picture is worth...

also it may be just me but your IMG links are not working...

Al

Edited by kinghong1970

9 minutes ago, kinghong1970 said:

Bruce,

try uploading some closeup images of the area you plan to repair.

this is a great community and there are tons of DIY'ers and i'm sure you'll get the help needed.  but that saying... a picture is worth...

also it may be just me but your IMG links are not working...

Al

Thanks Will do.!!! DEF!!!!!.. Most likely it is for the best that they are not loading...  Just me fighting a jumping  blue and a sloppy landing of the fish

Bruce,

if the screw tore out of the hull...

1) does it have any brass fitting that was molded into the kayak hull?

2) can you reach the area to put a backing nut/washer?

easiest suggestion would be to create some form of backing plate... strip of alum? then insert to the back to reinforce, then a machine screw and nut? 

mcmaster also sells rivet nuts that you can install to a "larger" hole that allows you to use a machine screw.

97217a376l.gif

this, when installed properly, will give you a threaded recess to re-mount your rudder frame.

again, shooting in the dark here... but post pics of the area needed for repair.

2 hours ago, kinghong1970 said:

I have the ability to edit posts in this forum and yeah I cant even delete his post. I am sure Tim can with his level of control over the site.

Just now, EricJ said:

I have the ability to edit posts in this forum and yeah I cant even delete his post. I am sure Tim can with his level of control over the site.

Eric, i believe only OP and admins can delete the posts he created.

not sure policy on deleting threads though.

posts can be edited to remove content... but removing entire post or thread, i believe that's admin 

Just now, kinghong1970 said:

Eric, i believe only OP and admins can delete the posts he created.

not sure policy on deleting threads though.

posts can be edited to remove content... but removing entire post or thread, i believe that's admin 

It does not really matter to me. I did not mean to duplicate a  post but what the hell... small potatoes? It is not so terrible? is it? 

I got some great advice. I was not going to comment till I  was able to take some pics but I don't want you all to go to any trouble over deletions. It is all good. And I'm really loving this stuff.  My plan is to fish the hell out of this boat and up grade in a year or two.