glider

Wounded lure revisited

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

P.s I appreciate the rainbow and sea trout patterns will be of little interest to you guy's but thought the blue back herring might be....glider

Nice work man! Striped bass don't see details as good as we do but the slight contrast might help a little.   Lures came out really good, how do they swim?

Thanks guy's, I realise probably not of great interest for stripers and the requirements are completely different. I previously posted a couple of simpler patterns with displaced scale effect which were just about small enough for our small bass species, though I dont make many saltwater patterns. This was a progression from there. I do a bit of bass fishing but these gliders are primarily for pike, they have a slow, lazy side to side glide and are designed to be able to fish very slow with long pauses in cold winter water. The fish get to have a very long, up and close look before deciding, so it helps  if it looks attractive when static, many takes come after a long pause as soon as the lures starts to move again. I like to look at lure styles and particularly triggers from different species and styles . To my eye it appears your striper lures are about big bold triggers moved at pace ,with casting distance being a crucial attribute ? Over here bass lures tend be along the slim minnow type imitating small baitfish. Thanks again for feedback norcalkat and ed ........glider

Beautiful gliders! I live in southern California where most of the stripers are fresh water- rivers, lakes, and reservoirs. They, along with large mouth bass, have taken advantage of large trout stockings throughout the region and often target trout preferentially. Many companies/builders here even produce full-size trout lures (10-12 inches in length) to target these opportunistic bass. I too paint some of my traditional striper plugs in trout patterns. Yours look like they would be great producers. No doubt pike will hit them hard as well.

Thanks rrocco, the pike here do like a trout pattern , most of our waters have trout in them , mainly wild but many have stocked rainbows also. I've heard about landlocked striped bass - they sound like good sport , so do you switch over to freshwater style lures and patterns or throw saltwater plugs at them ? ....glider

Glider, I throw whatever I can :). I fish bait, fresh/salt, metal/wood/plastic/rubber. Most of the lures I make are for saltwater, but use them when targeting large freshwater predators as well. By saltwater I mean they are rigged with stainless steel thru wire, 150 pound plus swivels and split rings and saltwater hooks. When targeting local stripers I use either white/neutral patterns or rainbow trout pattern. I use poppers, swimmers and darters and have had success in lakes and rivers. I recently started experimenting with a crank bait as well.