AKotoun

Vacation to Camden and south of there. Looking for guidance.

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Headed up to Camden area next weekend and looking to do a little fishing. What resources should I study before showing up? From RI so enjoy fishing from the rocks but will take what ever is best. Thinking about hiring a shore or boat guide for a half day as well. Any favorites?

Much appreciated.

Lose the large Gibbs Casting Swimmer, pick up a few Creek Chub Striper Strike 2500s, yeah you're going to be going smaller if you're interested in bass as they tend to run smaller up here.  Storm shads, bucktails and all the usual suspects in smaller sizes are effective.

Not sure if the bass have actually made it up as far as Camden this year, but I'm thinking they probably have.  Access to water will be your biggest challenge, although you can head down to Rockland and fish off the lighthouse breakwater.  As elsewhere, access to the water is a problem, even in Maine.

If bass aren't cooperating, there's always mackerel and harbor pollock to entertain on small tins and/or Sabiki rigs.

Can't think of any shore guides in these parts, they are mostly in Southern Maine as are most of the charter boats.  The closest charter boat to Camden that I know of is in Damariscotta, Punky's Comet II, Captain Joe Rego (http://www.damariscottacharters.com/),  Boothbay Harbor has more charters and things start really "booming" when you get down to the Kennebec River in Bath and Brunswick.

Edited by Roccus7

George Harris ( a member here ) Superfly charters is a great guy if he is available.  He is in Bath, but the K is pretty good right now.   There are fish around Belfast, so you should find them around Camden, access is a problem.