banjer

Opinions: 18-20 ft CCs- Parker vs. Jones bros vs. Maritime Skiff

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

Last similar thread was in 2011, so I'll see if anything has changed in 6 years..

This fall I'll be purchasing an 18-20 ft boat for western LI sound. I've narrowed it down to these 3 boats: JB Cape Fisherman 18 ( If of course any ever come to market ), Parker 1801, and either model of Maritime Skiff 18/20 ft ( Skiff or Defiant ). Looking to spend 15-20k if I go used, not against new if that's the better option

Looking for thoughts and opinions on ride, sea keeping, fishability, and over all satisfaction.

I'd also love to hear any dealer recommendations for the tri-state area and MA, been trying to set up some Sea trials and inspections with mixed success.

Thanks in advance

I'm looking for that size boat too.

I have three friends with the Parker 18' and have been on them several times--it's a great boat and the package price that Parker sells them for is a good deal IMO.

I have been on 2 different 20' JonesBros owned by friends of mine many times. They are "the best" IMO and I would love to get the 18', but they are 10 to $12,000 more than the Parker 18' and it is hard for me to justify the $$. But maybe.....

I am also looking at the Sportsman 19' Island Reef with a 115 Yami. Nice package price with a solid trailer and a very clean layout well suited to the fly fishing I like to do. I have been on one once, but it was such a bluebird day that it really wasn't much of a test. A friend bought one this spring and likes it very much and I am fishing with him today--if all goes well, the Sportsman might move to the top of the list. 

JMO Have fun shopping--I am :th:

On 8/4/2017 at 5:19 AM, cgg said:

I'm looking for that size boat too.

JMO Have fun shopping--I am :th:

You've liked your Triumph so much...just want a little more room now?

1 hour ago, patchyfog said:

You've liked your Triumph so much...just want a little more room now?

Yes--room and ride. The 17' Triumph is a 900 lb hull with a 50 hp. I'm looking at 18 to 19' CC hulls that weigh 1500 to 1900 and have 115's. They'll just ride nicer and handle chop better. The 19' Sportsman I was in yesterday was very nice, btw. Did very well imo going into a 10-15 mph SW and 2-3' chop. Wind died out when we got into the fog in ACK Sound and the Sportsman was very nice to fish out of.

20 minutes ago, cgg said:

Yes--room and ride. The 17' Triumph is a 900 lb hull with a 50 hp. I'm looking at 18 to 19' CC hulls that weigh 1500 to 1900 and have 115's. They'll just ride nicer and handle chop better. The 19' Sportsman I was in yesterday was very nice, btw. Did very well imo going into a 10-15 mph SW and 2-3' chop. Wind died out when we got into the fog in ACK Sound and the Sportsman was very nice to fish out of.

Cool to hear it CGG ...Those small Sportsman CC's are certainly priced right, thanks for the report on the ride and fishability.

I came across another boat maker last night while scouring Hull Truth and the boat selling sites: A Rhode Island maker caller North Coast boats, they are well regarded and make 18' and 19' CCs. Their hulls are set up a bit differently but by some accounts do very well in sloppy conditions.

For me at this point I just need to hear back from some dealers regarding sea trials/inspections so I can start narrowing down the field.

The research and site hunting is pretty enjoyable, if a little overwhelming at times haha. Hope you all caught some fish yesterday!

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

....all quality boats but our JBCF 23' is great.

I agree, they are awesome boats! But good used JBs for sale seem rarer than hen's teeth.

13 minutes ago, banjer said:

I came across another boat maker last night while scouring Hull Truth and the boat selling sites: A Rhode Island maker caller North Coast boats, they are well regarded and make 18' and 19' CCs. Their hulls are set up a bit differently but by some accounts do very well in sloppy conditions.

I've always liked North Coasts, although I'm not familiar with the 18 and 19. That company has quite a heritage in terms of both hull designs and construction.

On 8/3/2017 at 7:31 PM, banjer said:

Last similar thread was in 2011, so I'll see if anything has changed in 6 years..

This fall I'll be purchasing an 18-20 ft boat for western LI sound. I've narrowed it down to these 3 boats: JB Cape Fisherman 18 ( If of course any ever come to market ), Parker 1801, and either model of Maritime Skiff 18/20 ft ( Skiff or Defiant ). Looking to spend 15-20k if I go used, not against new if that's the better option

Looking for thoughts and opinions on ride, sea keeping, fishability, and over all satisfaction.

I'd also love to hear any dealer recommendations for the tri-state area and MA, been trying to set up some Sea trials and inspections with mixed success.

Thanks in advance

I have a Maritime Skiff 18 and I was just ready to sell it and buy a Parker 1801...guy only wanted 8 grand. I should have went down and paid the cash for it and sat on it and sell the MS 18.

People want way too much money for MS 18's.  Way overpriced. The Defiant's are a heavier boat than the Skiff's and a better ride. If you get the skiffs or maybe even the Defiants too...I would highly recommend getting the trim tabs installed. Doesn't have to be hydraulics or electric, I went with just a spring and now the Skiff rides way better than what it was doing. Also, you have to be careful when shopping for the MS Skiffs or any older boat especially with scuppers. Water weight! My boat has always been trailered so my flotation has some water weight but not terrible. If it's a big problem you have to lift the deck and take it out, replace and seal. Not the end of the world but a headache. If you are spending 15-20 it may be worth to get a surveyor to look at it. In my area the price is 18 bucks a foot for a pre-purchase inspection.  When I show up to buy a used boat, I come prepared to do compression tests etc. The best thorough check I can do. People lie all the time...and I have no problem walking away. I'm not a marine surveyor, just a dude who reads stuff online and watches youtube. I did see used JB for 15k in the spring...and another deal where I should have went to atleast look at it but balked and it sold for 13.

20 hours ago, banjer said:

I agree, they are awesome boats! But good used JBs for sale seem rarer than hen's teeth.

......and hold their value well...also.