Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bass Ackwards

Air Conditioner Help Need.

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Have a small 6,000 BTU sitting in the window. It cools a small room and helps with the rest of the house. Yesterday there was a "blurp" in the power, lost it for a second or two when the storm passed through. Temperatures fell so I tried to turn it off and couldn't. Had to unplug it. I'm guessing the control board got destroyed.

In any event it's 6 or 7 years old, a Home Depot cheapy and not worth fixing, so looking for a replacement. Looking for a 6 or 7,000 window unit that is very cheap to run. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Google your model. Sometimes there is a reset procedure. My Friedich recently wouldnt do anything until I pressed and held down two certain buttons. Good luck and stay cool.

Bought an LG a couple months ago after lots of research.  It's quieter than most.  I paid $290 w tax and delivery from Home Cheapo for an 8000 BTU.

This is weird. Plugged it in this morning and it's working perfectly. Turns off and on no problems. As long as it's working no need to replace. Thanks for the help any ways.

1 hour ago, Bass Ackwards said:

This is weird. Plugged it in this morning and it's working perfectly. Turns off and on no problems. As long as it's working no need to replace. Thanks for the help any ways.

Window AC's are a pain in the neck....if they are suddenly shut off via the power button or a power failure, the compressor can seize in place. You give it a couple of days for it to decompress and the dang thins work just fine. That seems like what you experienced. As for smaller window units, Fridgidaire makes a 6K unit with digital controls and remote that can be had for $160 from Amazon. It is pointless to try and repair a window AC, as is the case with so many other appliances these days.....

59 minutes ago, HardyG said:

Window AC's are a pain in the neck....if they are suddenly shut off via the power button or a power failure, the compressor can seize in place. You give it a couple of days for it to decompress and the dang thins work just fine. That seems like what you experienced. As for smaller window units, Fridgidaire makes a 6K unit with digital controls and remote that can be had for $160 from Amazon. It is pointless to try and repair a window AC, as is the case with so many other appliances these days.....

That's not what happened tho. When the power came back on it was working just fine. As the temperature fell we couldn't turn it off. That was about 2 hours after the blurp.