HugeDinghy

your first job

Rate this topic

162 posts in this topic

in honor of my daughter starting her first job today, I pose the question to the tavern...what was your first job?

mine was go-fer for my dads friends construction company.

2 minutes ago, Wire For Fire said:

Demolition .. great job at 16 .. break chit up and drag it out to dumpster .. 

yup, although you have to have the right kid....and I don't even mean the work..i mean because of the workers...some real degenerates....first time I saw someone break up and snort a pill..

Edited by HugeDinghy

I had a summer job as a lathe turner in an electronics factory, making bolts and screws. I started a week after my 15th Birthday.

either or....I meant real as in first job you held, so basically summer.

best summer job I ever had was delivering sheetrock....between that and lifting to get ready for football, that was the best shape I had ever been in...a scout for our rival actually petitioned the NCAA to drug test me for 'roids.

Man, I used to sweep  and mop the tailor shop, go to the store for old ladies, cleaned one of the barber shops in the neighborhood, all before starting high school. Oh yeah, scooping water ice and we also used to collect newspapers and take them to the junk yard. Had to pay the junkyard for the use of their carts, though. lol Think it was $.35, iirc. 

Hey Brian - What's she doing?

I remember getting Greg his first job.

As for me, my first summer job was painting and roofing houses for Jay L Summers, he was in his 70's , retired Lt Colonial and G.E. engineer. We worked on rich peoples houses in Greenwich, He was a great man, loved me like a son.

After school job was at Howards Shell, which was great because it was during the gas crisis where we had odd & even days - but I always had gas. 

no surprise to anyone that, being a broad, she wanted to work for a very specific retail joint.

applied in June.

woman she initially talked to while applying said they weren't looking for anyone, and was rude/ bitchy to her...

so my daughter submitted her application and told the lady, "you don't know this yet, but you want me working here."

called back every Monday at 9 am and asked to talk to the store manager...left him message after message and finally got the job...

this is a place pretty much every teenage girl wants to work, so she really had no chance because she has never had an official job before....we went over how her work at the church, sports, babysitting etc could be spun as experience...

I refused to do anything other than support and transport her...she had to get the job, and the working papers etc...lady where we got the working papers from came out to the car and high fived me..said 99% of the time it was just a parent, not even the kid that walked in...