Killiefish

Is TFO discontinuing the TiCrx rod series?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Saw a couple of online sales where the TFO TiCrx rods are being sold for 30% to 45% off of the list price.   Made me wonder if this rod is being discontinued or replaced with something else.  Anybody know?

I always liked my older TiCr 7wt best of all their rods (liked it better than the BVK 8wt I owned).  But I just picked up the 7wt TiCrx brand new for $140. 

Ummm -- not sure - hope not. I also have the TICrx in 7 & 8 and actually picked up new 10th Anniversary SE Edition 8wt (TICrx) for under $100 (sans spec. ed. tube) which I have yet to throw.

I know they are coming out with the Axiom 2 at a much higher price point.

I broke my 8wt TICR  (car) & I'm waiting on a replacement .. though I may just go for a 9wt Clouser.

56 minutes ago, gman1253 said:

Ummm -- not sure - hope not. I also have the TICrx in 7 & 8 and actually picked up new 10th Anniversary SE Edition 8wt (TICrx) for under $100 (sans spec. ed. tube) which I have yet to throw.

I know they are coming out with the Axiom 2 at a much higher price point.

I broke my 8wt TICR  (car) & I'm waiting on a replacement .. though I may just go for a 9wt Clouser.

Gman - what is your assessment/opinion of the TiCrx 7wt vs the TiCrx 8wt?  

Just now, Killiefish said:

Gman - what is your assessment/opinion of the TiCrx 7wt vs the TiCrx 8wt?  

Like them both -- as you know they are fast & with my lack of casting prowess :laugh: I overline more than normal. I like the Colton Tradewinds XS in 8 a tad better (smoother ?_ & the 7wt BVK better than the TICrx..  They are tough & the spigot ferrules are nice as well. The TICrx's  can throw some serious line if your timing is right. One of my TICrxs has pretty crappy cork but that one I picked up cheap of the auction site. The other's cork is fine for me.

I also like the Echo 3S in 8wt a lot too (picked that one up new for $200 on the auction site) & now I'm unsure about the 8wt BVK. Last time I used it I was disappointed but maybe it was the line I had on it.   So right now in an 8WT, I would rate the Colton & Echo ahead of the TICrx followed by the BVK.  I tried a Mangove in 8wt but I didn't like it at all.

In 7's for the salt -- I would rate the BVK & then the TICrx (haven't tried the Colton 7wt).  The Clouser is not bad either.

Sometimes I really don't think the rod matters that much for me - depends more on line, wind & how I happen to be throwing that day. Too many years spinning.

Been doing freshwater since early July since the stripers have moved offshore so I won't get to get back to the salt until the fall. Assuming we get some kind of fall activity that is, if not I'll have to wait until Dec/ Jan for Florida.

All the best - MG

Just google the TFO TICrx -- Killie is right they are down 45% 50% percent.  A bunch of sellers have them ...

Great deals --- 

Edited by gman1253

Follow up:  I have to hand it to Backcountry.  They had a "gearhead" (tech rep) call me as soon as I ordered, to tell me they would personally take care of any problems with my order.  Free 2-3 day UPS shipping.  Rod arrived yesterday, brand new, unopened pkg.  Perfect in most every way - one minor issue is that the alignment dots don't line up exactly - close but I will have to do a minor adjustment each time I set the rod up.   Excellent customer service and great price on this rod.  YMMV.