rickhern

Kayak Rod butt length

20 posts in this topic

I have 2 st croix 7-9 swimbait blanks, rated 1-4, that I am going to wrap(1 spin, 1 conv) to fish out of the kayak. Will be mostly using these to throw eels/riggies. I am somewhat vertically challenged at 5-7. Anyone have an idea on ideal butt length? I would prefer to make them so short that they would serve no other purpose. 

 

Thanks guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put a tube reel seat on the blank, dry, and put a reel in it. Slide it fore and aft, and pretend you are fishing. In about 30 seconds, you'll find a spot that feels right. Put the reel seat there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep them regular 6'-7'6" inshore rod length.Thats a lot of rod to throw seated from a yak. Big casts are not always needed when your already out there. Too long a handle on a yak is worse than a little short. Mock it up, get in the yak and see what works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no expert, but putting myself in your shoes I'd be frustrated no one is giving numbers. I just measured my Tiger Lite, arguably the most popular kayak rod. I'm 5'8" and find it great. It's 16 3/8"   from butt to top of reel seat, 14 1/2" to the center of the reel arm of a Penn SSV4500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gellfex said:

I'm no expert, but putting myself in your shoes I'd be frustrated no one is giving numbers. I just measured my Tiger Lite, arguably the most popular kayak rod. I'm 5'8" and find it great. It's 16 3/8"   from butt to top of reel seat, 14 1/2" to the center of the reel arm of a Penn SSV4500.

ahh, thank you. Good starting point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK don't lock me up. I have a nice almost parabolic 8' blank with the butt  about a seven inch butt. Just enough to have the handle clear my gut sitting or standing.

I also have a section that I can install in the but to make a beach casting rod out of it,

It might take an hour to figure out how to cast it and after that you won't go back.

WHY DON'T YOU TRY TAPING ON YOUR GUIDES AN GIVE IT A TRY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2017 at 3:25 PM, oldgoat said:

OK don't lock me up. I have a nice almost parabolic 8' blank with the butt  about a seven inch butt. Just enough to have the handle clear my gut sitting or standing.

I also have a section that I can install in the but to make a beach casting rod out of it,

It might take an hour to figure out how to cast it and after that you won't go back.

WHY DON'T YOU TRY TAPING ON YOUR GUIDES AN GIVE IT A TRY.

pic please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally i like the butt to fit just under my arm. This allows me to brace the rod butt against my side when fighting a fish, and allows me to place the butt against my abs when pulling on a fish from the front. I dont like the butt being shorter than that because your wrist will take a beating supporting all the weight.

That being said, since you are building the rod, you can make it that exact length for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Baitbucket said:

Personally i like the butt to fit just under my arm. This allows me to brace the rod butt against my side when fighting a fish, and allows me to place the butt against my abs when pulling on a fish from the front. I dont like the butt being shorter than that because your wrist will take a beating supporting all the weight.

That being said, since you are building the rod, you can make it that exact length for you.

^ this :th:

 

when I build rods for the kayak, I measure the butt so that it runs down the inside of my forearm and ends at my elbow with that arm's hand holding the foregrip ... that way I can brace the rod against forearm; tuck into armpit or nestle into bellybutton depending on the size of the fish ... this last method needs a fair amount of middle aged spread to work effectively ;)

Edited by Africaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While palming the reel, I prefer the butt end to be roughly at my elbow, not extending beyond it. This is long enough to brace under your armpit for leverage while fighting a fish, but short and nimble enough to not get caught in your PFD/shirt etc...Balance is important if you're doing a lot of bottom contact stuff, less so if you're trolling or chucking/winding plugs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you guys have got it right. I was thinking about John Skinner talking about liking a new rod with a longer butt that came to his elbow. It seems we all like the butt that comes to our elbow when holding the reel as the right length for jamming in your waist  when fighting a fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel there is no standard for kayak anglers.  Spinning vs. Conventional/baitcasting. For me and Saltwater Spinning it's center of the reel stem to end of butt 12". That could be a standard in the majority of spinning off the shelf for saltwater. For saltwater bait-casting rods with trigger grip, from the trigger to the end of butt, 14 1/2"-15", non trigger conventional I go center of the reel seat to end of butt 16". These may be also standard sizes to off the shelf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.