flyrad10

Wind from the East Fishing the Least? or Solunar Tables?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Does anyone use the Solunar Tables as a rough guide for choosing fishing times?  Do you find moon rise, moon set and  lunar transit more of a fish catching factor than certain tides and moon phases at sunrise or sunset or tides or wind direction and weather? Perhaps, there is some synergy of tide, wind direction, weather moon rise, moon set, sun rise, sun set and lunar transit?

Moon and tide absolutely  I live by  it and it dictates where I will go and when I will go

wind matters big time too but it depends on the location  ...an east facing beach is hardly ever an "east is least" situation 

we could have some fun with examples but let's see what others have to say

Muskie fishermen swear by Solunar tables and claim the full moon and a couple of days before and after the full moon are the most productive times. 

I don't  know  if it's just my imagination but I notice the complete opposite for bonefish so I avoid planning trips around a full moon if and when i can and instead plan around a new moon to fish sprig tides. On a recent tarpon trip to Homosassa, a local guide told me he prefers to fish tarpon on days around a full moon.

Edited by sidelock

I've never used solar tables but I'm willing to learn. :-)

I can't speak for others, but I can say that in my experience, bright moonlight just kills the night flats striper bite on Block Island. 

Some of my best striper caching outings have happened during NE, E, and SE winds. Having said that, I love a steady, prevailing SW wind on Block and in SoCo.

And of course, there are certain place I fish that are entirely tide dependent, in terms of action and access.

Steve Culton

The Fisherman

The Solunar Tables are actually a hypothesis that says animals are more active one hour after the moon sets or rises and two hours after the moon reaches its highest point in the sky or its highest point on the other side of earth opposite to your position on the earth termed lunar transit and opposed lunar transit respectively. The major periods are lunar transit and opposed lunar transit while the minor periods with less activity are moon rise and set. These periods can be enhanced in intensity if they coincide with sunrise and sunset or coincide with full moon and new moon tides. For example, if the full moon rises at sunset and coincides with a high tide then that is a particularly excellent time to fish. Full moon rise approximately coincides with high tide on outer beaches facing open ocean. Animal activity also depends on location and weather which are not factored into the solunar tables. So for example, you are not going to miraculously find fish in a spot which is not frequented  by fish nor in a fishy place during  a gale or hurricane. This theory has only been tested by handful of scientific studied published in peer review journals and in one case in Louisiana deer were statistically more active during the minor period. It would be interesting if SOL created a data base to record time,  date, weather,  wind direction, along with location (which could be blocked out to avoid spot burning) during any fishing expeditions (sucessful or not) and match this data to Solunar Tables. However, it might be hard to trust the integrity of the data since dishonesty and farcical behavior could ruin things. As an example, many published solunar tables are inaccurate and erroneous and should be checked with reliable data published by the US Naval Observatory.

If I only fished "perfect" days... great weather, tides, moon, winds, dawn, dusk, night, I'd probably only fish 5 days a year.

Someone once told me "tides are a luxury."

Fish when you can, and fish with confidence.

They bite the least when it's out of the east", or "they like to feast when it blows from the east" ... your call.

Keep a good log and go through it and see if you spot a pattern. If you think that you've "figured it all out" please share it.

Have fun!

I have mixed feelings on them, sometimes I think they are spot on and other days they stink. I always made a note of when the major and minor feeding periods are. If nothing else if things are slow and I know the feeding periods are coming up that gives me the incentive to stick it out for another hour or two.

The number one thing I look at is the wind direction and next is the tides and the times of high and low.

The one thing I always tell myself is if the tide and wind are right and there is no bait where I am, the major and minor feeding period is most likely happening some place else.

Today was a great example of bait being around, it was a major feeding period for 6 hours, the whole tide was breaking fish. I guess bait trumps everything

I tend to agree with someone above who says Fish when you can. Me I always consider wind and tide. I will agree that position of moon (which as you also point out correlates with tide) plays a part. But the solunar approach goes  to hell if the wind is wrong. 

I would say many fishermen don't know enough about how wind impacts water conditions. For example the coriolis effect will push water off at right angles and create upwelling or force higher temp surface water into a said location. When I'm in the water and/or diving I can feel it. It's that dramatic. When there are days of hard south wind people in NJ complain how the fishing can shut down and the surf temps can get very cold. None of that if considered in Solunar.

sure everybody talks about full moon October bass which I'm sure is highlighted on solunar. But I've Fished some duds over the years. Give me a new moon. And then one year the full moon will be epic. I wish I knew why. But I will be out there one way or the other.

Edited by JohnP

3 hours ago, BillHassan said:

If I only fished "perfect" days... great weather, tides, moon, winds, dawn, dusk, night, I'd probably only fish 5 days a year.

They bite the least when it's out of the east", or "they like to feast when it blows from the east" ... your call.

Keep a good log and go through it and see if you spot a pattern. If you think that you've "figured it all out" please share it.

Have fun!

x2 with Bill

The only time I really don't like is a bright full moon, almost always piss poor for me unless it's hidden by overcast skies....  Other than that I fish when I can.  Wind seems to be a big factor.

5 hours ago, flyrad10 said:

The Fisherman

The Solunar Tables are actually a hypothesis that says animals are more active one hour after the moon sets or rises and two hours after the moon reaches its highest point in the sky or its highest point on the other side of earth opposite to your position on the earth termed lunar transit and opposed lunar transit respectively. The major periods are lunar transit and opposed lunar transit while the minor periods with less activity are moon rise and set. These periods can be enhanced in intensity if they coincide with sunrise and sunset or coincide with full moon and new moon tides. For example, if the full moon rises at sunset and coincides with a high tide then that is a particularly excellent time to fish. Full moon rise approximately coincides with high tide on outer beaches facing open ocean. Animal activity also depends on location and weather which are not factored into the solunar tables. So for example, you are not going to miraculously find fish in a spot which is not frequented  by fish nor in a fishy place during  a gale or hurricane. This theory has only been tested by handful of scientific studied published in peer review journals and in one case in Louisiana deer were statistically more active during the minor period. It would be interesting if SOL created a data base to record time,  date, weather,  wind direction, along with location (which could be blocked out to avoid spot burning) during any fishing expeditions (sucessful or not) and match this data to Solunar Tables. However, it might be hard to trust the integrity of the data since dishonesty and farcical behavior could ruin things. As an example, many published solunar tables are inaccurate and erroneous and should be checked with reliable data published by the US Naval Observatory.

I'm so sorry...I know what a solunar table is. My remark about learning was an attempt at humor (see "Stripes"). But I thank you for trying to explain anyway. :-)

Steve 

9 hours ago, BillHassan said:

Have fun!

Spot on.

you can't ignore moon phase & barometric pressures if you do ...your just blind casting many have no clue what is going on & why they do & don't catch . Maybe they just consider themselves good or lucky . As far as wind out of the east ,west or other, depends  where you are positioned if the sun is up you will have wind  ,most important have fun w/ it . 

Edited by Hook I

Steve

Misunderstood you completely. How was that explanation? I am not sure the tables are useful since weather and location may be introducing too much noise in the system. The mysterious nature of the moon remains,

Edited by flyrad10
Q mark

From personal experience I have not had a lot of luck fishing for redfish the morning after a full moon night.  Talking to guides, they believe the reds can see better at night, feed more, so are less active the next day.

In Sanibel (and probably elsewhere along the Florida coast) the snook that are roaming the beaches head offshore during the new and full moons.  Fishing will not be as good (maybe BFD can confirm this) ...

But like others .... I fish when I can, and if everything lines up, great - if not, doesn't stop me from going.

AP