Shipwreck

Can a Statue be Policy?

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Statues, seemingly, are important to some.

Confederate, Mt Rushmore, All of DC.

But can it be policy?  When that snarky reporter was talking about the Statue of Liberty being the reason we cannot have immigration reform and started quoting poems; I was like...

So what?  Thats a statue not a statute.  I think its time we change the quote on the base to "No Vacancy".  If we did, would it then be policy?

A poem on a statue can communicate the beliefs and ideals. If it is quoted for almost 100 years, it's a pretty powerful message of what we think we stand for.

what makes it so powerful is that so many Americans can trace their lineage through entry (immigration) on Ellis island. I can.

Edited by JohnP

The Statue of Liberty was a propaganda tool, used by rich industrialist to get cheap labor for a country turning into an industrial giant.

Those days are gone.

Let's keep a couple of things in mind.

First, the Statue was a gift from the French people to the USA, it was not an American creation. 

Second, there was no money for the base of the statue and a fund raising campaign had to be launched to raise funds from the public to create the base for Lady Liberty. 

Third, part of that fund raising was the commissioning of a poem from Ms. Lazarus which was more about immigration and less about Liberty. It is said that she was a Marxist and her words echo such sentiments. I remain unconvinced but agree the immigrant message was no necessarily in line with the Liberty rationale. 

Lastly, the SoL is called "Lady Liberty", not "Lady Immigration" nor anything similar. 

Imagine if Trump said something as stupid as Acosta did, "what... we're only gonna take people from England and Australia now?"

There would be at least three prog threads running in here right now wailing on about it.

The guys that sneak across the southern boarder don't get to see Ellis Island.  Maybe the coyotes should play educational videos in their windowless vans on the drive up.

I think Trump is trying to placate his racist base,

but while I might not agree with him on this one,

I don't oppose it enough to waste any energy on it.

Part of the problem of having a buffoon in office is you have to prioritize what nuttiness must be stopped.

Just now, Mummichog said:

Racist base.  There you go.  

it's funny that some try to deny it,

Trump has been failing badly.....

so he's trying to energize his base by attacking brown people and the LGBT community.

because deplorables love that stuff.

27 minutes ago, fish'nmagician said:

it's funny that some try to deny it,

Trump has been failing badly.....

so he's trying to energize his base by attacking brown people and the LGBT community.

because deplorables love that stuff.

If Trump didn't give you so much material, what would you do at work all day?

46 minutes ago, Mummichog said:

The guys that sneak across the southern boarder don't get to see Ellis Island.  Maybe the coyotes should play educational videos in their windowless vans on the drive up.

80%+ of illegal immigrants in the USA are Mexican. Nearly 90% crossed the US-Mexico border. The Statue was there for legal immigrants to see as they came into the harbor on boats before they were to pass through the US immigration offices on Ellis Island and other locations. Those folks were all vetted, registered, checked for disease and then permitted further passage, or quarantined or sent back.

The USA had CONTROL then, we don't have control today.

Comparisons to then vs now seem to miss that very salient point.