Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buz23

Non-OEM Line Roller Bearing Alternatives

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

The line roller bearing on my Stradic 5000FI finally froze up completely so I started looking around on the web for a replacement.  The size is 5 x 9 x 3.  There are lots of choices out there, but some aren't stainless and the stainless ones come in open, shielded, and sealed versions, some with ceramic balls, some with and some without lubricant.  Looks like I can get a sealed version for about $12 from a Amazon link. 

I tried the Shimano web site but they don't support the FI anymore so I E-mailed and they supplied me with a replacement part number.  I had to google the part number to find out what reel it is used on (turns out to be a Stradic 6000FJ) since that seems to be the only way you can order and ordered a couple at about $6 each.

I wonder if anyone here is using non-OEM line roller bearings (on any reel) and if so which variety and how do they hold up?

Edited by buz23

Shimano doesn't make bearings so any good SS bearing in at least ABEC3 is good.

I get most of my bearings from Jeff at Boca Bearings and Dawn at Smooth Drag. Smooth Drag only sells ABEC5 bearings in most cases. 

Of all the Shimano reels I have serviced the ones with open bearings have lasted the longest. 

I also get bearings directly from China. The Hobby Bearing store. They carry many ceramic hybrid bearings. It takes about 30 days to get them. 

The SS 5x9x3 bearings I get cost about $3.00 each. 

19 hours ago, handi2 said:

Shimano doesn't make bearings so any good SS bearing in at least ABEC3 is good.

I get most of my bearings from Jeff at Boca Bearings and Dawn at Smooth Drag. Smooth Drag only sells ABEC5 bearings in most cases. 

Of all the Shimano reels I have serviced the ones with open bearings have lasted the longest. 

I also get bearings directly from China. The Hobby Bearing store. They carry many ceramic hybrid bearings. It takes about 30 days to get them. 

The SS 5x9x3 bearings I get cost about $3.00 each. 

So an open bearing is a reasonable choice for the line roller??  If so, do they require more frequent cleaning and lubrication?  Or are they more suitable for the internal bearings?

Edited by buz23