Bachelor party (montauk/block island)

Rate this topic

Lost Cause

Hey fellas,

longtime lurker here, yep I'm one of those guys lol....

I have recently come down with brief case of Insanity and somehow got engaged to my long time girlfriend and fishing buddy. All jokes aside couldn't have asked for a better partner. 

My wedding is in January but I was thinking of a bachelor party in November-ish for work issues. My best man has asked me what I'd like to do and honestly I'd love to do some fishing (with some minor partying). We are in the Long Beach area and we're thinking of heading out east for some fun to like montauk/block island.

To say I'm beginner fisherman is to say too much I've got no mentors showing me the ropes and have been taking the approach of "what the hell let's see if this works". I've been religiously going at it for 2 years gotten a few keepers here and there, so I get the deal about spot burning and the learn by failure approach. But this is my bachelor party and I don't wanna screw this up lol. So I had a couple questions:

Would the first two weekends I'm November out at montauk/block island area be prime time, too soon or too late? 

Could anyone recommend us a charter for a group of like 10-15 people? 

I know it's not exactly prime tourist season being November but anyone of you old salts got a couple spots that would be cool to hang out at? (Not fishing spots bars)

Kind of in the preliminary stages here any help would be great to some one who's trying to learn the hard/right way to fish but wants to have one great night.

Thanks for all of any help I get.

Edited by Lost Cause

First two weeks of November will be prime for Blackfish, Sea Bass and Cod off of Block Island and local bottom fishing. You should really load up on these tasty critters. Striped Bass might still be on the feed, last few years it's been pretty much over by then but it use to fish pretty well early in the month. Depends of bait's still hanging around. 

For 10-15 guys it's going to be tough to get on one boat, not many take that quantity. Check out the King Wayne (not sure still in biz) Sea Spray and Suzie E ll. There might be a few others as well. Regarding clubbing it's pretty quiet in Montauk that time of year, at 53 I've been out of that scene for some time. 

You can also fish on a party boat with a large group. All of them will be doing bottom fishing that time of year except maybe the Lazy Bones who might be jigging for bass and blues. 

Now the bad news, as it's a bacherlor weekend you might want to consider sea sickness. You might get a nice day with calm water but chances are the boat will be rocking a bit early November, fisherman beware with or without alchohol intake. Also if there a thought of partying while onboard, run that by your Captain, most if not all will frown on it. 

Congratulations as well!

If you want to score points with the future mrs. and her friends may I suggest a trip to the North Fork. You could all go fishing out of Orient By The Sea Marina. The ladies could shop in Greenport. Rent a party bus for the day. Hit a few vinyards after fishing and then one of the great local resturants for dinner.

My choice for boat would be Fishy Business . Phil Kess is a great captain.

If you want any help planning it let me know.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

1 hour ago, reelfire said:

If you want to score points with the future mrs. and her friends may I suggest a trip to the North Fork. You could all go fishing out of Orient By The Sea Marina. The ladies could shop in Greenport. Rent a party bus for the day. Hit a few vinyards after fishing and then one of the great local resturants for dinner.

My choice for boat would be Fishy Business . Phil Kess is a great captain.

If you want any help planning it let me know.

That's not a bad idea too. With or without the girls. You can find your nightlife in Greenport, Sag Harbor or East Hampton from there. I've heard good things about Phil Kess as well.

Edited by brushfly

19 hours ago, Yudi said:

One problem with BI is that in November most all restaurants/bars are closed down, for your consideration, since you are missing business with pleasure.

yup, was out there one year of columbus day weekend, It was a stampede to get off island on that ferry on Monday afternoon.

on BI columbus day weekend  is the end of "season" (for non-fisherman), but maybe you could get some discounts on hotels.

Fishing from shore wouldn't be a problem but no Party boats out there, then the logistics of getting there you need to factor in.

M might be just an easier trip all around. Good Luck and Congratulations!!

I Fish therefore I Lie

If I was you, I would not combine bachelor night with real fish fishing. Try to have fun with some bigger fishes like:

http://gossipclubny.com/video/

Rods only required. No hooks required. Leaves your hooks at home.

Edited by FishinKid007

Slot Limit for Striped Bass; 1 fish 26"-34"

Save the Porgy; Bring Back 10 fish daily limit

On 8/4/2017 at 10:58 AM, fishinthedark said:

yup, was out there one year of columbus day weekend, It was a stampede to get off island on that ferry on Monday afternoon.

on BI columbus day weekend  is the end of "season" (for non-fisherman), but maybe you could get some discounts on hotels.

Fishing from shore wouldn't be a problem but no Party boats out there, then the logistics of getting there you need to factor in.

M might be just an easier trip all around. Good Luck and Congratulations!!

Yea, i'm sure the ferry is coin toss in november. 

• 3 weeks later...