Rabbit91476

My name isn't skinner and I ain't in montauk but

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I just had the time of my life not catching fish.   We stay at pismo beach every year on the beach. To night I finished BBQ dinner early.   Asked my wife if I could toss a lure.   I was out ther I till I couldn't see  the the size of the waves.  Waste deep freezing my balls off not catching a damn thing.   I've haven't had this much fun in a long time.    My wife asked.  What was so much more fun about tonight.   I didn't know how to answer.  I just said   I was out there till sunset?

Edited by Rabbit91476

If you're serious about having the time of your life not catching fish, just come up here on the 21st. You can walk out, dunk your balls in 52 degree water, toss your lure, and catch nothing, all while you are standing right under a total eclipse of the sun.:)

21 hours ago, Uncle Stu said:

Word. To be a surf angler means to wallow in failure most of the time. Make friends with it.

That is a keeper quote, Uncle Stu.  I can pretty much catch "some" fish in my neck of the woods as long as its a perch, jacksmelt, or Dungeness crab, but to go out there for striper is binary for me:  it's either all glory or, like you said, a failure.  I need to be ok with the failure because over time, with the accumulation of experience, I should have a higher percentage of glory days vs. failure days.

6 hours ago, SFJerry said:

That is a keeper quote, Uncle Stu.  I can pretty much catch "some" fish in my neck of the woods as long as its a perch, jacksmelt, or Dungeness crab, but to go out there for striper is binary for me:  it's either all glory or, like you said, a failure.  I need to be ok with the failure because over time, with the accumulation of experience, I should have a higher percentage of glory days vs. failure days.

If you want more glory days in the surf, always fish at dawn in the middle of the incoming tide, and forget the other days and times. The odds of a striper are low in the best conditions and practically zilch the rest of the time. But that doesn't keep me from fishing.

1 hour ago, Uncle Stu said:

If you want more glory days in the surf, always fish at dawn in the middle of the incoming tide, and forget the other days and times. The odds of a striper are low in the best conditions and practically zilch the rest of the time. But that doesn't keep me from fishing.

Yep, that's good advice.  When dawn and incoming tides align, there's definitely more confidence and optimism in the air for me.

For glory days anglers need to strive to get dialed in to current patterns.  Casting for hours or fishing tide stages is a very minute part of the whole striper equation imho.  I've seen guys catch fish on bright sunny days during lunch breaks without any obvious signs of bait at low tide. I believe sports sayings like "a shooters touch" or "a perfect swing" apply to plugging as well.  You can see it in the way some guys impart action onto their plugs.  It's really hard to teach.  Like others sports,  I think natural talent plays a significant role in striper plugging success. 

Some people just have the natural manual dexterity and visualization skills to work plugs more enticingly than others.   When the bite is on everyone catches but when it's slow those with the skills and talent tend to still catch.