Bow390

Gulp is garbage

Rate this topic

152 posts in this topic

Agreed. Especially the minnows. I dont fish soft plastics much, but on my last trip to NC I went through  pack of gulp in record time. Switched over to Zman 10x and added my own scent.  Held up much better and caught fish.

Sorry gulp for me is the next best thing to the real thing, especially the sandworm. I do agree they could be more hardy, but they are made of water based resins, so they do breakdown like easier in the water from this material. Try fishbites, heard they work well, can't say that I have tried them, but plan to. Sure someone on here can speak to them, are they more durable? 

Edited by Linesideslayer

3 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Sorry gulp for me is the next best thing to the real thing, especially the sandworm. I do agree they could be more hardy, but they are made of organic plastics, so they do breakdown like any organic material. Try fishbites, heard they work well, can't say that I have tried them, but plan to. 

I agree, it is their organic design that allows them to be biodegradable that leads to Gulp being so fragile.

5 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

Sorry gulp for me is the next best thing to the real thing, especially the sandworm. I do agree they could be more hardy, but they are made of water based resins, so they do breakdown like easier in the water from this material. Try fishbites, heard they work well, can't say that I have tried them, but plan to. Sure someone on here can speak to them, are they more durable? 

I've used Fishbites, they work better in warmer waters, they make two varieties and one works better in cooler water. the big advantage is that they are not activated until they get wet. 

Overall I think Gulp is the better bait.

3 minutes ago, Bogey said:

I've used Fishbites, they work better in warmer waters, they make two varieties and one works better in cooler water. the big advantage is that they are not activated until they get wet. 

Overall I think Gulp is the better bait.

Just the opposite for me. I have caught many fish on FishBites. They are especially handy because they don't rip off the hook during the splashdown phase.

I caught my first short fluke on Otter tail the other day, we were getting hammered by sea bass and tiny blues. The one blue was so small he got the Gulp shrimp tail stuck in his mouth. After my tail eventually got bit off I left the body on and added a 4" otter split tail that was marinating in Gulp juice. The negative is it is hard to get off the hook so I enlarged the hole the good it doesn't dry out like Uncle Josh. 

Rinse as much salt out of some pork rinds as possible, dry em well, squeeze all the excess water out with some paper towels, and store em in in a container of Gulp juice

the negative is that they do discolor over time.

The whole gulp situation aggravates me.  What is supposed to be fun relaxing fishing is now expensive as hell and requires you to spend 50 bucks on baits for a few hours of fishing.  I hate it.

i had many issues recently with the "mullets" sliding down the jig head on the cast.  never had that issue before. its hella frustrating seeing your bait all messed up at the end of what you thought was a solid retrieve

Whoever doesnt want there gulp can mail it to me!  I have no problem getting 10-15 fish out of one swimming mullet. I just have to keep readjusting hook placement. 3-4 usually last me a couple of hour trip. What helped me is I stopped using baitholder hooks. They seem to tear up the gulp and switched to regular octopus hooks.

Just my 2 cents,

Tight Lines...

15 minutes ago, bido said:

Something changed as soon as they started putting those extra plastic (wasteful) trays in the packages.

The plastic tray according to them was to prevent the tails from crimping and folding over. trade off was the bait is not as durable. buy the pints they are more durable. there was a thread way back with someone from berkley explaining the plastic trays.