Do you guys spool your own line?

Rate this topic

Samba Surf

I spool my own. Braid to a little bit of mono backing.

When the line gets a bit weathered & worn, I take it off, reverse it, then respool it so I can get a few more weeks or months out of the line. Of the 300 or so yards that go on my reels, I use only about 150 yards or so. Half of the line is still brand new if you reverse it. :)

Sometimes when I get a couple of break offs, I add enough braid to get it to full again. However, I first take off the current amount of braid, add the new braid to the backing, then attach the current line to the new braid.

Edited by zak-striper

I've always done my own.  I think the trick is knowing what to do with the spool of new line.  With mono you lay it on the floor and let the line come off so the twist sort of lines up with the twist on your reel's spool.  I can never figure out which side goes down so I reel a few times and then stop and check the line twist and flip the spool over occasionally as needed.

With braid, I put a pencil through the new line spool and squeeze it lightly between my knees, or have my wife hold it.  I have the reel on the rod and the line through the guides and just wind it on.

I'm with Zak on reversing the line.  I think I'm on the 5th year of using a single spool of red power pro 20#, having reversed it a couple years ago.  I cut off a few feet when it gets frayed.  I bought a 600 yard spool of Suffix 832 20# a few years ago and haven't used it yet.  Since I switched to braid I rarely lose lures (bluefish or when I forget to retie after 50 fish or so) and I can't remember the last time I broke the braid above the swivel.  I guess part of my success is due to the fact that I rarely get a wind knot (thank god), and those I do get I can usually pick out without having to cut the line.

Edited by buz23

Generally much less expensive to spool your own line, although I've done both. Put it on under pressure. At times after spooling line I've gone to a nearby field, fastened the end of the line or leader to a post, walked out the line, and re-reeled it tightly to prevent wind knots.

Always spool my own! Especially on pre VSX Van Staals. If you mound the line properly when you spool it you avoid the hour glass line lay.

Marc

"Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience!"

In favor of an immediate moratorium on both Commercial and Recreational taking of Striped Bass.