BrianBM

The Sanctions Bill; a question for Trump stalwarts

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

The President has signed a sanctions bill with regards to Russia, Iran and North Korea. The bill passed with big bipartisan numbers, it's veto proof. The President can waive sanctions with regards to North Korea and Iran, but not Russia; Congress will have to authorize a relaxation of sanctions before they can be relaxed on Russia.

This is a statement that Congress, including the bulk of the GOP, doesn't trust him with regards to Russia. There's no other way to take it.

For those here who support President Trump, what's your take on this?  Are the Republicans who voted to tie Trumps's hands on Russia to be denounced as RINOs?  Are they right?  Or are they wrong, but still admissible in the GOP?

Your $0.02 is solicited.

1 minute ago, Riverboat33 said:

Brian, how would you have felt if the Congress denied Obama the right to ease sanctions on Iran, thus stopping the nuke deal ?

I'd've felt that Congress was being hyperpartisan.  Here, where the GOP has a commanding majority in the House and a modest one in the Senate, we have a different situation.  Clearly, a vote of no confidence; the GOP, as well as Democrats, doesn't trust President Trump on anything to do with Russia.  

Do you, as a Trump supporter, feel that the GOP majority has acted within the bounds of reason, or are they to be damned as RINOs? 

1 minute ago, BrianBM said:

Do you, as a Trump supporter, feel that the GOP majority has acted within the bounds of reason, or are they to be damned as RINOs? 

I don't consider myself a Trump supporter, more of an anti-liberal, some what moderate.  It will be interesting when the time comes to remove the sanctions and congress can't agree.   

Just now, Riverboat33 said:

I don't consider myself a Trump supporter, more of an anti-liberal, some what moderate.  It will be interesting when the time comes to remove the sanctions and congress can't agree.   

Not much risk of that. Putin isn't going to let go of any of his pseudostates, and will continue to try to destabilize Ukraine, and fiddle with every election he can - ours included. He wants the old Eastern Bloc of the Soviet Union back, and has said that letting the Baltic states out of Russian control was a sad mistake. 

If you consider yourself a Republican, are those members of the GOP who voted to constrain the President to be deemed RINOs or Republicans?  

Anyone else - J? - care to pick this up and run with it?

They're just trying a little CYA after blowing the Onamacare repeal.  Typical politicians, most of them have no idea what sanctions they voted on.

2 minutes ago, Riverboat33 said:

They're just trying a little CYA after blowing the Onamacare repeal.  Typical politicians, most of them have no idea what sanctions they voted on.

Seems both could be the same message.  "Check!  Your move, Mr. (ahem) President."