Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beastly Backlash

Skates for Ray Bait

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I've fished with skate, either cut up or winged for sharks....many times.  I've never caught a ray while using clear nosed skates as bait. I think southern rays are more picky than cownose rays.

Are you intentionally trying to catch rays?

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, SharkHunter said:

I've fished with skate, either cut up or winged for sharks....many times.  I've never caught a ray while using clear nosed skates as bait. I think southern rays are more picky than cownose rays.

Are you intentionally trying to catch rays?

Yeah, I like catching rays. It is just that as numerous and easily caught as skates are, I was considering whether they would be a viable choice for bait for rays.

Like you, I have never caught a ray using skate, but figured I would defer to others that may fish with chunked skate on a regular basis.

I will be down fishing at the Indian River Inlet the beginning of Sept., my understanding is that the rays are running and numerous in that area around that time of year, is that right?

I fished clear nosed skate strips quite a bit while the CNR started moving through in July.   (mainly for reasons you mentioned, I like catching rays and skates are plentiful.)  

Not only didnt I catch a CNR, but nothing else took the bait either.   

The boys cauhght some stuff on squid, gulp, mummichogs, and salted clams during this time so I chalked it up to skate being poor bait.

Interested in other replies, as mine is a sample of one x 1 weekend.  

10 minutes ago, 55555s said:

I fished clear nosed skate strips quite a bit while the CNR started moving through in July.   (mainly for reasons you mentioned, I like catching rays and skates are plentiful.)  

Not only didnt I catch a CNR, but nothing else took the bait either.   

The boys cauhght some stuff on squid, gulp, mummichogs, and salted clams during this time so I chalked it up to skate being poor bait.

Interested in other replies, as mine is a sample of one x 1 weekend.  

It looks like the consensus so far is that skate is not an effective bait which is unfortunate as it stays on the hook so well and resists the crab's efforts and stealing your bait fairly well too.

Usually, whole squid is what I use for the rays.

Just now, Pylodictis said:

It looks like the consensus so far is that skate is not an effective bait which is unfortunate as it stays on the hook so well and resists the crab's efforts and stealing your bait fairly well too.

Usually, whole squid is what I use for the rays.

Aint that the truth.  

CNR may not eat skate but I can attest that they will take rubber storm shads. IRI was thick with them one night in June and we hooked a number of big ones while we were plugging for stripers. PIA

23 hours ago, Pylodictis said:

Yeah, I like catching rays.

Do you fish on Assateague and will you be there during red drum season? If so, do you mind if I setup next to you or, better yet, maybe you follow me to my spot? I will let you fight every ray I hook! Sharks too! I'll even provide the kingfish heads, spot and cobbs so you don't have to worry about using skate. :lg_smile:

14 hours ago, Springer said:

CNR may not eat skate but I can attest that they will take rubber storm shads. IRI was thick with them one night in June and we hooked a number of big ones while we were plugging for stripers. PIA

They aren't really hitting the lure, your just snagging them by accident. Cownose rays are notorious for this since they spend a lot of time up in the water column.

7 hours ago, castnet said:

Do you fish on Assateague and will you be there during red drum season? If so, do you mind if I setup next to you or, better yet, maybe you follow me to my spot? I will let you fight every ray I hook! Sharks too! I'll even provide the kingfish heads, spot and cobbs so you don't have to worry about using skate. :lg_smile:

Lol! 

caught a ray once in avon bigger than the hood of my car.  think it was a barn-door skate .  Even though it probably weighed only 50 lbs, it seemed like much more.   it took an hour to land it in the surf and then another 15 minutes to get it launched back in the surf where it could swim away.   what a pita!!!  especially at 2am in the rain.  Will be happy to let you or anyone else wind in the next one :laugh:

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:53 AM, castnet said:

I will let you fight every ray I hook! Sharks too!  :lg_smile:

Waaay too generous Brian :) .........once in awhile those "sharks" on the other side of the breakers end up with a spot or two in front of they're tail once landed   :bigeyes: