bonefishdick

CCC Quick Hitter 08-02-2017

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

August is now upon us and today I think with the SW winds being back in full swing I would make a quick trip to the Canal and try my usual middle of the day spot. The wind was much stronger than what I thought it would be when looking at the predictions. That was not unexpected or surprising. 

Low tide was around 1:30 pm and I was in the water  before Noon. My objective today was one fish to get August off and running. I think it was about 20 minutes after I started when I got a bump, a second bump and a hook up and finally a drooped fish. August now had potential. The next hour resulted in more hits and couple more dropped fish.

I am always aware of the height of the tide, especially in this particular spot and I noticed that the water not as low as I thought is should be at this stage of the time. Once again I suspect the water was being held back by he SW winds.

Once gain in this spot when you think there is still an hour to go before low and your expecting more drop but the water starts coming up you tend to head for the shore to asses things. I watched the water and it was not long that the water was again on the drop. I think in some cases when the SW wind is strong and it holds water in and the tide actually turns and changes direction you will still a false rise in the tide that quickly subsides and then will continue to drop. It's one of the idiosyncrasies of the CC Canal. 

Once I felt it was safe to go back in I knew I now had a couple more hours of fishing to complete.

I was still using my same Chartreuse & White clouser with my 250 grain sink tip. I did get a couple more bumps but that was the extent of it. I checked the fly and decided it had about come to the end of the road and opted to go to what has been my traditional clouser for this spot. The Yellow & White Clouser .P1070402bbsf.thumb.JPG.ee4e028cd879a5b1828552dc7c72ad27.JPG

I did not get any hits for the first half hour after the low and with the turn the water now was starting to rise and I finally picked up my first fish. August fish done!

I was happy to see that my new fly drew some interest. The first fish hit about half way back on a long cast. I generally through out into the flow and let the fly sink before I start my retrieve. 

As the water continued its rise I started working my way back towards my car and this time as my fly was at the seam of the flow about 80 feet away, it only took a couple of strips and I was tight. The fish was not big but it was fun to hook them at the end of the cast.

P1080720sol.JPG.45021f3cb7b9cdf773d1143ba59f8a9c.JPG

I think that is my favorite type of hook up and the first time it happens it always comes as sort of a surprise.  The second time it happens I enjoy because I am expecting it and feel better prepared to get the fish under control in a proper manner. The first time it happens is always a bit more hectic to get control.

The next cast came up empty as did the next few casts. I guess I was fortunate to able to get my fly into a small school moving by.

I now knew I was getting close to the point that I would have to leave.

The next hit came as I was bringing in close and up the face of the drop off. A quick thud and and no movement. I knew the fish felt different right off the bat and I suspected I knew what it was, I was right.

P1080725sol.JPG.29791dbe283ce3f8788ae242acf223c8.JPG

I had a nice slab of Fluke. It too got released.

Next stop was the walk back to the car and Dunkins for an Iced coffee and a snack to be determined on arrival.

Welcome to August, Dick, and all the fishy surprises in store. Maybe a surprise albie before the end of the month? Thanks, as always, for the report and nice pics. 

Dick

Your reports indicate you have mastered the art of day time striper fishing. How do you find fish in the middle of the day? what are the best tides? what type of line are you using? Without spot burning of course, we know you fish Chatham, Sandwich, CCC and Wareham  but what type of water do you look for? This time of year in daylight on Long Island, NY I could walk 3 miles around Democrat Point in Robert Moses State Park or cast for 3 hours around Overlook In Captree State Park and be lucky to get a couple snappers.

8 hours ago, flyrad10 said:

Dick

Your reports indicate you have mastered the art of day time striper fishing. How do you find fish in the middle of the day? what are the best tides? what type of line are you using? Without spot burning of course, we know you fish Chatham, Sandwich, CCC and Wareham  but what type of water do you look for? This time of year in daylight on Long Island, NY I could walk 3 miles around Democrat Point in Robert Moses State Park or cast for 3 hours around Overlook In Captree State Park and be lucky to get a couple snappers.

I don't know if I changed anything from when I did the all night into sunrise and daytime fishing.

When I first started Striper fishing I never used to leave the house until 10 pm to get on the water at 11 and then I would fish all night and then all day. I never went to bed or took a nap. That was my weekend routine,

My work week routine was a 4 day work week and on Wed. I would get out of work at 8 pm and I would not have to be back in work until noon on Friday. At 8 I would head to the Cape and again it was the all night, all day until dark the next day and then I would go home on Thursday night with enough time to sleep before going to work on Fri.

My point in telling you all of this is the same areas that I fished at night were the same ones I fished during the day and those are the same areas I still fish.

The structure changes every year do to storms primarily and by being consistent in fishing them I think I know the changes and can adjust accordingly. If I have one problem that irks me more than anything, it is not the loss of places o fish, they are still there but just the loss of being to park at them. If I did not mind parking tickets I could do even better during the day.

I also think that confidence has a lot to do with it. I think if it is a good night spot, it is a good day spot. One of the things I seem to be committed to is I firmly believe that certain color flies in certain styles work better in different places. I pick my flies for were I am fishing. Knowing the structure also has a lot to do with catching fish. I also find that during the year that were fish stage in some area will change as the season moves on.

One good example is I know a very long channel that is lights out in the Spring especially and people flock to the same spots in the channel that were hot in April. By May and into June & July The fish stage further up the channel and eventually way at the top of the channel. When I arrive later in the season if they have not abandoned the spot all together because they don't catch like they used to and people are still fishing they are still at their early season statiosn leaving the rest of it and the fish for me,I just hope they don't notice what I am doing. Most don't figure it out.

I don't know If because of your location if it makes a difference or not but the fact your further south of me and the fact that the fish are migratory that the fish may just not be there in the numbers as in the Spring. Even on the Cape i feel many fish have moved north but more do tend to stay here because of more structure and move in and out on certain tides. I think the canal is a great magnet for holding fish in the area and that is a big advantage for me.

All I can say is my night spots are my day spots. I have people who will go fishing with me and after a few hours want to move, I wish the well in their travels, I have been known to stay and fish through two tides and  to me it is now paying dividends for investing that time. I try now not to car pool with others because they are not committed to the long haul.

I would love to be 35 years younger and know what I know now and have the parking situation back to what it used to be. Now it is daytime fishing and pacing myself to fish the tides at the times I feel I have learned to be at a particular spot at a certain time. I don't pound the whole day anymore, I take breaks in between, Sometimes I don't leave the water, some times I do, If I don't leave the water and a handy place for a Nap is around then I am all about that too.

I think when I go fishing now I don't worry about catching fish. I go with a game plan and I try to stick with it and at this stage of the game when it comes together that is the reward and what I enjoy now. It;s the time on the water that is important now.

I don't know if this will help but that is where I am at now in my fishing career.

Dick

Thanks for the reply. I hope I am not grilling you too much? Do you predominantly use sinking flies like Clousers with sinking or intermediate lines? What stage of the tide do you favor? Is there a strong current or is it slack? Does wind direction and weather factor into your plan or do you just go out at a convenient time and stay awhile? 

11 hours ago, flyrad10 said:

Dick

Thanks for the reply. I hope I am not grilling you too much? Do you predominantly use sinking flies like Clousers with sinking or intermediate lines? What stage of the tide do you favor? Is there a strong current or is it slack? Does wind direction and weather factor into your plan or do you just go out at a convenient time and stay awhile? 

I just did a reply solunar tables and major and minor feeding periods and do they work. I guess the short answer is yes they do if the bait is around. Wind is my number one consideration and in most places I like a high tide dropping at sun rise. The moon will effect the tide and how strong the flow is, weak tides I find don't fish well. They are sort of like having a slack tide for a very long time. Fish in general like moving water. Overcast days I feel fish better but for sight fishing not so good but sight fishing is a whole different mindset for most people. I thing for Stripers over 90% of it will be blind casting and working known structure or casting to breaking fish.

When it comes to types of lines that is always a can of worms about how people feel about one line being better than another. I have four different line and my number one line is my Intermediate which I use about 85%of the time. My 26 foot sink tip is about 10% of the time and my floating and floating sink tip gets the balance of time.

My fly selection for my intermediate is usually a clouser for the first half of a tide on the beach and then I play it by ear and usually go to Deceivers style flies.