SeabassLove

Cortland 30lbs braided mono

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi!

I bought Cortland 30lbs braided mono to use it as as a running line behind T14 head for boat fishing.

I wonder if it is a better option over a regular pvc flyline type running line to get deep faster?

May I put the T14 directly into the braided mono and then nail knot to avoid loop to loop connection through the guides ?

kind regards,

I did the nail knot method for a head to airflo miracle braid, it has worked fine so far. Since Miracle Braid floats not sure on your other question though...

thank you,

Stormy Monday, What lenght of the T14 head do you put on the braided mono ?

I read the post but did not find informations about the sinking property of the braided mono over the intermediate pvc line ?

Hi SeabassLove I'll have to measure it tonight. I started with a Sci Anglers 450 grain Wet Tip Express type line that I did not like at all and spliced that head to the braided line, then started casting it with my 9 weight and cutting the head back little by little until I arrived at something that felt good. It is still a little too much for my 9 as well as for my gimpy elbow, but it's not a line I use very often so I'm OK with that. The double nail knots worked well for me - that was the part of your question I was addressing. My braided line does not sink at all, but I get all the sink I need from the head itself.

than you a lot for taking the time to answer me. 

I'm new in the shooting head stuff and know nobody who flyfish the salt.

When you splice the head into the braided mono where do you make your nail knot ? at the base of the braided mono ?

The nail knot's primary purpose is to address the fraying ends of the braided mono although some may feel it affords more security. The properties of the braided mono act like a Chinese finger trap and doesn't require any additional form of mechanical assistance to prevent it from slipping. I personally prefere to whip the end of the braid with strong fly tying thread by thightly spinning the bobbin around the line with the tip of the bobbin making contact with the line while spinning and guiding it down the line between the index finger and thumb of both hands then I whip finish and then coat the thread with a thin application of  Pliobond and roll it between my thumb and index finger before it sets to create a smooth finish. I use that chit on everything ! I should also mention that I like to insert at the very least a good 8" of fly line inside the braided mono, for braided loops at the leader end of the fly line I only do 4" to 6" depending on line weight.

I think there may be a youtube video on the procedure.

Edited by sidelock

Actually Sidelock's description is what I do as well but I use a piece of 12@ mono with a small weight attached to do the same thing. I do a second one a few inches further down just because I'm neurotic...