flyfisher

Where is the Fish and Game officers when you need them ?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I know the state doesn't have enough officers to watch every area that is heavyly fished . My question is , how many of you have called to report fishing violations and seen an officer  show up and take action ? Many  have called fish and game to report violations where i fish , including me , never to receive a response or have someone come over . Someone killed a 16" striper in front of me because the a******e and his daughter wouldn't stop taking pictures with the fish . After i came over and asked them nicely to release the fish they did but was to late . Soon after he caught a 25" and he told me straight up he was going to take it home . I reported him . Nothing was done .

Edited by flyfisher
Misspelled

7 minutes ago, robc22 said:

Well the epo's r doing much better than they use 2 me thinks........You did all you could...........

I should load a number in my phone for the canal. Does anyone have that number ?

I've seen more EPOs this year than ever before. They're really doing good work on the canal.  But there aren't than many of them, and they're spread pretty thin. That being said, the few times I've called, they've responded.

I fish the Boston area a lot and have called maybe 50 times in the past 3 years. In the 2-3 spots I fish, there is always some guy snagging herring, keeping shorts, or keeping multiple fish.

Out of those, only 3 times did an EPO show up, and only once did they take gear for someone live lining herring. The other two times, the EPO just looked around and then left. I told him in person that the two guys in front of us had just kept multiple fish, were live lining, and kept shorts. His response "I'm not going around cracking skulls and breaking open cars." He didn't even check licenses for anyone.

It got so bad that last year I sent a letter and had a call with someone high up in the Boston Environmental Police. He said, we try, but we only have a handful of officers for the entire area including boats. No wonder they don't have time to check anything really. They are being set up with impossible odds.

Would it be better if they had more officers and were more thorough? Definitely. Would it be better if we could issue summons based on photo or video evidence. Definitely. Do I want to die for a few schoolies. No way.

But this may help: 

I have called them on several occasions for illegal dumping in the nearby state forest. Ive caught people in the act called with the scumbags plate number and no one shows up and never get a call back.  I see them at the boat ramp harassing every boat that comes in while there are real criminals dumping crap in the woods. They seem to have thier priorities a little out of whack.

11 minutes ago, Timmytuna said:

I have called them on several occasions for illegal dumping in the nearby state forest. Ive caught people in the act called with the scumbags plate number and no one shows up and never get a call back.  I see them at the boat ramp harassing every boat that comes in while there are real criminals dumping crap in the woods. They seem to have thier priorities a little out of whack.

Thank you for doing your part. Think about the logistics of what you just wrote...

it is is much easier for them to set up shop at a ramp then it is to do an emergency call. I'm sure they would much rather catch the guys dumping.

EP's are all pissed because they don't get overtime details like they use too. You know, the important stuff. Like, being an EP/Lifeguard, directing traffic and traffic details. I live on the water and see em maybe once every few years on the water.

pool.JPG

Edited by The Riddler

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

EP's are all pissed because they don't get overtime details like they use too. You know, the important stuff. Like, being an EP/Lifeguard, directing traffic and traffic details. I live on the water and see em maybe once every few years on the water.

pool.JPG

I fish on the water... I've seen epo on 3 separate occasions now this season alone.

not sure about the OT thing but one of the times was early easter morning

On 8/2/2017 at 5:27 PM, flyfisher said:

I know the state doesn't have enough officers to watch every area that is heavyly fished . My question is , how many of you have called to report fishing violations and seen an officer  show up and take action ? Many  have called fish and game to report violations where i fish , including me , never to receive a response or have someone come over . Someone killed a 16" striper in front of me because the a******e and his daughter wouldn't stop taking pictures with the fish . After i came over and asked them nicely to release the fish they did but was to late . Soon after he caught a 25" and he told me straight up he was going to take it home . I reported him . Nothing was done .

Honestly........ in the overall scheme of things, they would consider this so unimportant that it's not worth responding to IMO.

Much like if you saw someone speeding and throwing a coffee cup out the window at the same time and called the cops.

Sucks at times but it is what it is.

Small fishing violations are such a small part of their job it barely registers on the important meter.