Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jetty eddy

big splash

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

I was out metal detecting this am. My ears are tuned for the sound of treasure while my eyes are on the water.I saw the biggest splash I've ever seen today. It was about 75 -100yds off the beach. I watched the spot for awhile expecting a swimmer doing his morning swim or perhaps a snorkler(sp). Nada. I haven't a clue to what it was except a big bass.

Actually it wasn't the largest splash I ever saw. I see whales,seals,blues,albies etc. This was maybe what a seal size animal could do. This time of year I don't think you'll find seals though.

Possible shark. I was fishing in the back bays one day last year after the peanut bunker showed up, heard the water thrashing and looked left. About 50 yds away was a 4ft brown shark crashing on bait in 12" of water. Tried to run over and get a pic but it turned and went under right as i got closer. Probably a mile inside an inlet. 

17 hours ago, jetty eddy said:

Actually it wasn't the largest splash I ever saw. I see whales,seals,blues,albies etc. This was maybe what a seal size animal could do. This time of year I don't think you'll find seals though.

SHARK

14 hours ago, fd4mcola said:

lots of big rays around now 

That's my vote, if only because I saw a 4-foot ray get airborne last week during our vacation at the beach. 

The porpoise have been going crazy in the early morning.  We had them riding in the waves right in the surf zone on Monday literally 10 feet away while surfing.  Really cool

Couple years ago there was a bunch of pilot whales right on the beach behind Donovans.  They were so close i made eye contact.  Usually they pop up again if you keep looking so hard to miss.  So i'd say he saw a ray's wing flap .

5 or 6 years ago in early August my company sponsored a summer party at a place in seabright at what I believe was tradewinds or right next to it at least.  It was cool they had had bon fires and a nice food spread.  

Who'd have thunk it but there were 20-30 pound bass blitzing in the wash and I had no rod with me. :dismay: