vmcmahon

Lavallette

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am heading to Lavallette in mid-late August. Would this be considered a dead time on the surf for fishing? Too late/early for stripers? What about fluke?

Also, I will have a couple kids with me - any inlets/bay area I can hit where the kids will catch some porgy's etc. Anything to give them a bit of excitement ?

thanks guys

Edited by vmcmahon

Dog days of august

You'll have a shot at kingfish and fluke in the surf. The possibility of a small bass.

For the kids, the back should be loaded with snappers and crabbing should be good

Lavallette, spelling counts.  :)  Due east/out front: fluke, kingfish, perhaps croakers, sharks too.  Due west/out back is the bay front all along Lavallette and surrounding towns: crabs & snappers.  Nearest, easily accessed, inlet is north in Point Pleasant Beach.  Have fun.  

46 minutes ago, vmcmahon said:

thank.... I will look into IBSP.....whats needed for crab fishing - never tried..

String, a raw chicken leg, and a landing net.  Stop at any of the B&T's in Seaside for bunker as bait and crab traps if you want to spend more money than string costs.

There are a few piers you can crab from a few miles south of there, 10 minute drive at most obeying the speed limits..... ;)

The tackle shops can tell you, not sure what kind of stickers are required to park at a few of them.

Oh, and lose the chicken :dismay: , spend the few bucks and buy the cheap frozen bunker with a few of these:

59823931be6fb_crabline.jpg.e9e9bb5fa859a4afc7fa57337af476f5.jpg

Edited by Steve in Mass

I'll be there late August, I plan on trying it all....fluking - biggest from surf 2 years ago was a 19" and I'm going to try to specifically target sharks one night too. I'm bringing my kayak too maybe be able to take that out one morning.

For the kids, the snapper blues will keep them most occupied. Kingfish/croakers in the surf will work too. Fishbites, small pieces of clam, or small pieces of squid will work. They're fished on a "kingfish" rig, or if you have porgy rigs already, they'll do fine. You catch them on the ocean front.

For crabbing and snappers, Lavallette has two piers on the bay.  There are a number of bait and tackle shops in the area for bait and supplies.  You may be lucky enough to get Fluke in the surf.   Rays are abundant now.

4 hours ago, vmcmahon said:

Hello everyone,

I am heading to Lavalette in mid-late August. Would this be considered a dead time on the surf for fishing? Too late/early for stripers? What about fluke?

Also, I will have a couple kids with me - any inlets/bay area I can hit where the kids will catch some porgy's etc. Anything to give them a bit of excitement ?

thanks guys

Snapper blues in the bay and maybe out front, along with fluke, dogfish, skates, rays, sea robins all should be easy.

Late AUgust is a good time of the year for fishin with the kids