Recoil Rob

Question for Newell owners about drag.

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I have 3 reels from the 1980's-90's.

Last night I overhauled my P229M and put in new drag washers.

It's a 4 stack drag. I replaced the washers with some dry carbons and the drag is really smooth. But it seems like I go from no drag to full drag in about 1/2 turn of the star. My other two reels (344 & 454) are similar, no drag to full lock up in about 3/4 turn.

Is this normal? I imagine this is a function of how fine or course the threads on the bridge sleeve are. Did anyone ever make custom sleeves and stars with finer threads to allow finer drag adjustment?

The drag material is probably a couple of thousand of an inch thicker causing less drag adjustment on the reel.....It will wear and you will get more star adjustment...Or just change the fiber drag washers with thinner ones...

Why would washer thickness matter? Once they begin to contact each other shouldn't it be a function of the threads on the star, how much each turn of the star compresses the washers?

I could see the washers making a difference if the new ones did not compress as much as the old ones.

Because when you turn the star drag it pushes on a tube that pushes against a metal washer that is next to a fiber wisher and if the fiber wisher is tool thick the that will shorten the length that the tube can move and preventing you from getting more revolutions out of the star that turn on a threaded shaft...

That still doesn't make sense. I know what the setup looks like and how it works,  I just replaced the washers. The washer stack, fiber and steel, is a certain total thickness, doesn't matter what the thickness is. When the tube is not contacting the stack there is no drag, when the tube starts to compress the stack is when drag starts to be applied. The problem is it goes from no drag to full drag in 1/2 turn of the star wheel. If the star wheel had finer threads it would take more turns to go from none to full, more sensitive adjustment.

What I would is first wait, use the reel and once it wears you will be able to have more turn from the star... But if you want to use the drag washer set that you installed you are going to have to shorten the length of the tube to compensate. Remove it and rub it on a flat knife sharpening stone. 

I swapped out the dartainium washers on my 700-B with dry carbons,they are thicker and even with the drag backed off full,there is tension on them and all I have to do is about a 1/2 turn on the star and it is where I want it,it is indeed faster drag now.

smooth and dry,I like the drags feel much better now.

the stock washers were worn out,I'd crank them up and still it was not where I wanted it.

after fishing I back it full off and the tension is gone until they expand again.

H-H

49 minutes ago, sytheteacher said:

What I would is first wait, use the reel and once it wears you will be able to have more turn from the star... But if you want to use the drag washer set that you installed you are going to have to shorten the length of the tube to compensate. Remove it and rub it on a flat knife sharpening stone. 

Yep, going to use it and see where it goes. They're dry carbons. Thanks all.

Edited by Recoil Rob

Check out Alan tani's tutorial. Replace them with the ht-100's including underneath the main gear (I.e replace the fiber washer with an ht-100).  Use Cal's drag grease.  Also, are there Belleville washers between the star drag and gear sleeve?  You may eliminate those for more play between no drag and lock down. 

Play with the tension washers. I believe if this spacing is too close "()"  it will lock down too fast. I had a 235 that came with a thicker washer in back of the tension washers...wasn't even on the schematic. The girl at Newell said they made changes if the drag was too tight. You can also grease the fiber washers and polish with a dremel the metal drag stack.

11 minutes ago, Maine Guide said:

Check out Alan tani's tutorial. Replace them with the ht-100's including underneath the main gear (I.e replace the fiber washer with an ht-100).  Use Cal's drag grease.  Also, are there Belleville washers between the star drag and gear sleeve?  You may eliminate those for more play between no drag and lock down. 

^^^^  this   Maine Guide beat me too it.