The Riddler

I was reminded last night why bassin in NY and NJ sometimes sucks

14 posts in this topic

......The blue fish have taken over 1/2 my backyard. I sent 10 Tuco Tacos and Uglies to their deaths...it was a beautiful death.  We just don't get a lot of bluefish inshore up in certain areas of Boston.  It's more of an offshore thing and thank god for that!  Not my favorite thing having blues tailwalk and jump into the kayak at night!  

42 minutes ago, The Riddler said:

My favorite thing having blues tailwalk and jump into the kayak at night!  

Yes, yes!  Mine too!

Edited by GeoffT

Wear a cup and rig it with the truckers friend strapped to your ankle, should be good for a tide and a half or simply wear some Depends plus the cup-easy peas-y.

55 minutes ago, The Riddler said:

Not my favorite thing having blues tailwalk and jump into the kayak at night!  

Yeah, often it's worth wasting the time to tire them MFs out. The 2-5# are the worst, you can bring them in fast but they're freaking out so bad you can't grab them, especially if they hit a plug with multiple trebles.

That's what we had last night.  Those pesky 4-6lbers.  The water temp soared to 73 with the easterly blow and then all of a sudden they came in.  Hopefully they leave fast. 

5 hours ago, gellfex said:

On the other hand, those 4-6# blues are tasty if you bleed & ice them quick. Even with just butter, salt & pepper.

Here we go again!

Even tailwalking to the yak in the daytime can be a little un-nerving.   I still recall hooking up with a beast YED and it skipped in quite fast to the point it body slammed be in the face-fortunately it was a bait with tremble hooks.   

There's usually always a fine line between horsing them in and not losing a plug you really like put don't have wire on.   :shrug:

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, flylikabird said:

Even tailwalking to the yak in the daytime can be a little un-nerving.   I still recall hooking up with a beast YED and it skipped in quite fast to the point it body slammed be in the face-fortunately it was a bait with tremble hooks.   

I had a few close calls this Spring in the inflatable...no trebles, but a swipe from those jaws could really cut my day short.