Kings over Queens

Sunscreen PSA

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Kings over Queens said:

Note to self, before applying sunscreen at a friends, check spf, specifically to make sure it has some.

Ouch.

I thought you people didn't burn.

I particularly enjoy trying to apply sunscreen when it's hot and humid. Since I'm a sweathog, a real disgusting, sweaty pig, I end up looking like I lathered up in KY jelly and mayonnaise. And the **** doesn't penetrate my skin, and I end up getting sunburned anyway. 

That sucks.   Nowadays, I always slather on sunblock (30 spf or up) before going out to the pool, beach or lake.    I paid the price for spending too many years of my youth being outdoors without sun protection.  Of course, back in the day (60s, 70s, 80s),  we didn't know putting on baby oil, cocoa butter and spf 5 sun tanning lotions to get as black as possible was a big no-no.   I had basal cell carcinoma on my neck which resulted in a lovely 10-inch long scar, prompting people to ask if I had been knifed in the past.   I also had squamous cell carcinoma removed from my right temple with another a five-inch scar to show for it.   Also had numerous skin lesions on my forehead and nose zapped with liquid nitrogen.   I see the dermatologist every six months for a full body checkup.

Edited by GeoffT

Check the expiration date too, if it hasn't been rubbed off. Made that mistake like 6 or 7 years ago. Woke up in the middle of the night feeling like pins and needles all over my body, next day was red.