Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
i07nyc

Need new cordless tools

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

My 18v nicad Makita kit has finally bitten the dust so its time for new tools. I've narrowed it down to dewalt 20v and milwaukee m18. The only cordless tools I use are hammerdrill and circular saw. Unfortunately neither company makes a kit with just those 2 things, so its gonna be buy a drill kit then separate saw. I'm leaning more towards the dewalt because its a flexvolt kit which means I can get a 60v saw. What are your experiences with both and is there much of a difference between the 60v saw and the 20v saw.

Can't say enough good things about the DeWalt cordless tools.  My crews and I use them mercilessly and I've yet to have one fail.  Cannot comment on the saw, but I will say that I always have my DeWalt drill n driver bag with me.

I just bought another pair, brushless this time.  LOVE EM! 

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

Can't say enough good things about the DeWalt cordless tools.  My crews and I use them mercilessly and I've yet to have one fail.  Cannot comment on the saw, but I will say that I always have my DeWalt drill n driver bag with me.

I just bought another pair, brushless this time.  LOVE EM! 

I also have the DeWalt brushless pair. I am not a contractor but own three homes and am constantly tinkering. This pair is the best by far that I have ever owned and I owned a bunch.

They've been dropped off ladders, buried in debris in the back of a truck and left on job sites out in the rain for a couple of days (not a great idea, I'll grant you, but chit happens) and they still work great.

I had big 18v dewalt kit that I got while working at home depot. I only used the saw and drill. Then I got a Makita 18v drill saw combo at an estate sale very cheap. I think it was 20 or 25 bucks. I was strapped for cash at the time so I sold the dewalt kit right away. Bad mistake. While the drills are comparable the dewalt saw blew away the Makita. Only way to cut a 2x4 with Makita was to turn as I cut it. So now I'm soured on Makita.

I Have the Dewalt 20v Max tools at home and I've used the Milwaukee ones at work a little bit. They're both really nice tools, but I'd have to give the edge to Dewalt, but that's mainly because I use them more than I've used the Milwaukee.

All other things being equal, the Dewalt battery and charger are next generation technology. Hence, Dewalt would get my dollars.

That said, I prefer Hilti tools for their quality and longevity of their batteries on a single charge.

Edited by Wayne Tj

I'm gonna go dewalt. I just don't know if I should spend the extra bucks for the 60v packs and saw. I'm mainly cutting 2x4's and 5/8 ply. Its a decent price difference between the 20v and the 60v saw.

I bought the 60 volt before Christmas as Dewalt was offering a free battery with purchase of a 60v tool.   I also bought the grinder and reciprocating saw.  This gave me 2 more free batteries.

The 60 v saw is nice as it is a full size 7 1/4" saw.  Weight is a little on the heavy side but I like it.   

As a homeowner I'm done with battery tools.  I'll be buying corded from now on.  I don't use them enough and the batteries go bad.  I have a beautiful DeWalt drill set that is 4 years old and has been barely used.  Both batteries went bad and won't take a charge.  New batteries are almost as much as buying the drill new with the two batteries. 

On 8/3/2017 at 11:26 AM, Seakarp said:

Milwaukee and rigid have lifetime warranties.

Just saying.

same company.......Sad really

1 hour ago, mako capt said:

As a homeowner I'm done with battery tools.  I'll be buying corded from now on.  I don't use them enough and the batteries go bad.  I have a beautiful DeWalt drill set that is 4 years old and has been barely used.  Both batteries went bad and won't take a charge.  New batteries are almost as much as buying the drill new with the two batteries. 

Man....that sucks....Lithium??

My first gen Makita lithium batteries are still going strong....thousands of .75" holes in studs...2 drills.....same to batteries.