Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lurejunkie00

Remington 1100 vs 1187

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

i recently got an 1187, with very little use for a great price. I was thinking of using it for skeet as well as some hunting. I also have an old beater 1100 that I use strictly for upland bird hunting.  I have a friend, that shoots skeet weekly and he says I will shoot better with the 1100 because it cycles faster.  Does this sound right?

No. If you hit the going away bird on a double and the gun takes longer to cycle than the time it take to acquire the second bird there is a problem with the gun. What chokes are in each gun?

I know a bunch of guys that do extremely well on skeet with pump shotguns. The group I used to shoot with on Wed used to use the 4th We'd of every month as pump day. Scores were basically the same as the other Wed in a month. The other Wed's we used Semi's and O/U of various grades of build. 

Never saw a guy miss a bird because of his gun cycle speed. Misses are almost always due to what is happening in the 12" above the comb of the stock (except mechanical failures).

Skeet is the most predictable of all clay games because one knows the birds from both houses will always fly though a 30" circle above the front center of the field and can be shot with any shotgun that can be loaded with  2 shells. Some shotguns may make the process easier than others by making the process of transition from shot to shot less of a conscience act but auto cycle time is not a serious issue to worry about from one semi to another. 

In Sporting Clays I have experienced station set up with such small target windows and the birds set in opposed directions move so fast that due to this poor station setup or far too challenging of one that I have had problems getting two shots off with a o/u in time to break both birds. But never in skeet even with a pump.

There is no detectable difference in cycling speed between an 1100 and an 11-87.

In 1987 Remington developed a self-compensating gas system which enabled the 11-87's to cycle varying load sizes without having to make any adjustments (rings etc.) and this the only real difference between them and the 1100.

Over the years the general consensus among high volume clay shooters is that the 11-87's tend to be a little crankier than 1100's, especially when shooting lighter target loads.

Keep them clean and they are both pretty good shooters (not Beretta good, but I digress :wave:).

I had a 16 gauge 1100 that was my skeet/ grouse gun in college....I regret selling it.  Sweet shooting gun...as mentioned when adjusted to load, performs flawlessly.  Never shot a more reliable auto. 

I've never owned, shot, or handled an 11-87 and never owned a 1100, but I have shot thousands of rounds through a 1100. For years before they closed I used to shoot weekly at the Remington skeet/trap fields at Lordship. Used one of their 1100's and never had a problem with them. A cheap gun that handles great and trouble free.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, lurejunkie00 said:

thanks for all the input.  both guns are remchoke

Remchoke is the brand name. What choke tubes are in the guns. Modified, Full. Imp. Cyl.?