albacized

If I wanted to become a citizen of the UK, Japan, or some other country...

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

...as a citizen of the United States, how easy would it for me to gain citizenship of one of these other countries...this is just a hypothetical question and nothing I'm actually interested in doing (no offense as I know some of these places are very nice - I've been to the UK, for example...just happy to be a US citizen)

The question is based on comments I've been hearing in the news outlets lately who complain on how long and/or difficult it is to become a US citizen...and I'd like to know how it would work out in reverse. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in all likelihood, there are probably some countries in which we take in their people and allow them to become citizens, but the gov't of those countries would not reciprocate in kind

For Japan it is somewhat limited, best bet is to find a company to sponsor you and after a few years you can apply for permanent residence card, like a green card here in the US.  Investor visa is also available provided you hire 2 locals and bring over $50K.  Relatives aren't allowed unless spouse. 

In short it is possible, but you have to be educated or have some skill set that is specialized.

Canada is one of the most welcoming countries for immigrants in the world. More than 20% of Canadians were foreign-born as of 2011, the highest proportion among all G8 countries.

Good luck getting into Canada as a US citizen.  You can do it if you fit a handful of the professions they need or if you plan to make a substantial investment.

6 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Good luck getting into Canada as a US citizen.  You can do it if you fit a handful of the professions they need or if you plan to make a substantial investment.

I can't fault them for having a smarter immigration system than ours. Still, over a quarter million Americans head north each year and I'm sure a bunch of them come here. The weather sucks in Canada. They have two seasons. Winter and July.

it took me seven years, $2500 in fees, 380 pages of forms, two full medicals and four in person interviews to enter, register, adjust status and then become a Legal Citizen.

I did it myself. a lawyer would cost you $6-7000. plus those fees.

my bride will take two years of residence, $200 in fees and one 20 page form to enter, reside and adjust status to UK Citizen.

Australia is a points and skills system - under 25 and its a piece of piss, under 30 its easy if you have a skill. over 30, they don't want you. they have a serious serious ageing population problem.

No idea what they called the system in South Africa, all I know, when I applied for citizenship there the gist of the situation.  Show proof of a million Rand in the a bank or be really good at something. Unfortunately, broke, in love with a local hottie, traveling surfer from America didn't qualify.  Only country I've ever been kicked out of for overstaying a travel visa and illegally working.

11 hours ago, Aquacide said:

it took me seven years, $2500 in fees, 380 pages of forms, two full medicals and four in person interviews to enter, register, adjust status and then become a Legal Citizen.

I did it myself. a lawyer would cost you $6-7000. plus those fees.

my bride will take two years of residence, $200 in fees and one 20 page form to enter, reside and adjust status to UK Citizen.

Australia is a points and skills system - under 25 and its a piece of piss, under 30 its easy if you have a skill. over 30, they don't want you. they have a serious serious ageing population problem.

Congrats on the efforts that led to your citizenship!

Most countries it is more difficult or near impossible.  Many countries require you to relinquish your current citizenship (no dual citizenship). Most countries don't allow non-citizens to do certain things, such as buy real estate!

Many of my co-workers here on work visas from India would like to have a path to citizenship but it has been getting more difficult over time, as now there are millions in line to do so!