Dr0wningless0n5

Worcester Surf Casting Club

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

I'm fairly sure the waiting list is in the 15 year range, so don't plan on getting in soon.

My dad submitted me for membership when I was a kid back in the 1960s and it wasn't until 1980 until my name came up. However I was disqualified since I no longer lived in Worc and  moved to Bourne the year before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr0wningless0n5 said:

I was just curious about the process of joining, and any info I can get. There is no website or anything that I can find.  

Last I heard there was a 150 person cap on membership........and an estimated 20 year waiting list.

You can always drive down country and inquire at their Canal side retreat.

Back in '50's, I was friendly with, and lived within spitting distance of the Larson's, and knew a number of top guys in the club.  I inquired about membership and was told the waiting list was years long and that I would be required to provide three solid personal references and also undergo few personal interviews.

I sorta chuckled to myself when I was told that.  Never put in the application. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 20 year wait and grueling evaluation process just so you can kiss the ring of the self-appointed gods in fishing Valhalla ? LOL ! I didn't know fishing was supposed to be all that complicated. :headscratch:

-bd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They really like to fly below everyone's radar.  However, much to their credit they run a nice club. I live almost within sight of them, and you'd never know they're there.  My wife has been walking the dogs around there for years and it's clean and quiet and the members nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dr0wningless0n5 said:

I guess they do like to lay low.   Just trying to find a group local to me.  Thought I had one, but I'm not waiting 20 years lol 

I have lived in and around Worcester for all but 3 years of my life. I'd be interested in meeting some people around Worcester County that actively Surf Cast.

I'm only 3 years into the addiction myself, and I don't plan on giving it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

      The Canal Sportsman's club is capped at a 100 +1 members, and the waiting list is capped at 35 people. Plus you need to be sponsored by 2 people. When a spot on the waiting list opens up, its a mad rush for the person sponsoring you to get  your application into the hands of the membership committee before other members try and get there person on the list, Its first come first serve. Then once on the list it could take years before your name comes up for your interview. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

      The Canal Sportsman's club is capped at a 100 +1 members, and the waiting list is capped at 35 people. Plus you need to be sponsored by 2 people. When a spot on the waiting list opens up, its a mad rush for the person sponsoring you to get  your application into the hands of the membership committee before other members try and get there person on the list, Its first come first serve. Then once on the list it could take years before your name comes up for your interview. 

I guess times have changed.  :laugh:

I joined in the early 70s, and Dave Cormier was my sponsor.  Dave told me to go to the club on Monday morning and wait for either Fred Remmick or Milt Norris.  I bumped into Fred, asked to join the club and told him Dave was my sponsor. He asked me if I had 20 bucks. Handed him a $20, and had my key by 5pm.  A really nice place, and I always enjoyed being a member. I also regret giving up my membership.

Edited by bob_G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, bob_G said:

They really like to fly below everyone's radar.  However, much to their credit they run a nice club. I live almost within sight of them, and you'd never know they're there.  My wife has been walking the dogs around there for years and it's clean and quiet and the members nice.

Your house must be close to ours.....

I see them rolling in and out from that dirt road when I walk the pup. 

Edited by Mokes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mokes said:

Your house must be close to ours.....

I see them rolling in and out from that dirt road when I walk the pup. 

You live in Bourne?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob  I've been a member there since 1986. And yes it has gone though a ton of changes over the years. I think the club now is the best its been in my 30+ years as a member. Great group of people. Although I am not  active in the club's day to day affairs any longer I still stop in and use the facilities. Great location and amenities.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really miss those days.  So quiet there during the week.  I used to boil my lobsters inside, and eat lobster rolls, potato chips and cold beer for dinner. I don't ever recall a negative moment there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.