BayportBob

Looking for KW Spinning Guide Input for a Black Hole Magic Eye...

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I'm kind of new here, but I was hoping some of you savy craftsmen might assist in recommending a guide layout for a Black Hole Magic Eye 804S blank - 8' (244cm), 2 piece popping rod.  2.5 - 4 oz (70~110g) lure wt.

Reel:  Shimano Saragosa 10000
Line:  Seaguar Threadlock 50 lb hollow core braid
Leader:  Loop to loop wind-ons for minimal knot interference
Reel seat location:  Spool shaft tip mid-stroke  ~23.25" (59 cm) or ~ 20" (50.8 cm) to the reel foot center.

I have the guide spacing for the factory rods, but I assume I can improve on that and thought the collective here might have a better starting point prior to test casting.

Factory Spacing from tiptop to bottom stripper is: 5" (12.7 cm), 11" (28 cm)  , 18" (45.7 cm), 26" (66 cm), 35" (90 cm), 45" (114.3 cm), and 56" (142.2 cm).  Distance from stripper to my reel shaft ~15" (38 cm) - which seems really close.  The factory uses a 40 KW series stripper, but I was thinking I can probably get good performance by starting with a 30 KW series since I'll be using braid 100% of the time.

TIA advance for any & all input! - Bob

Edited by BayportBob

Experimenting is always a good idea.

Have you purchased the blank or are you looking at doing so?

The Magic Eye Blanks are quite flexible i.e bend deep into the butt section, and this is probably why the factory has placed the stripper so close. The factory layout is more like a jigging rod set-up than one you would use for casting. Great for pulling and jigging not so good for casting. Its up to you to balance the characteristics you want.

Your braid choice is pretty stout, actual BS is 90lb and a calculated dia of 0.42mm / 0.016" based on its weight (which equates to PE6) However it is hollow and this affects its density, it will feel like casting PE10 line. PE10 braid with a stripper that close will not be all that pleasant to cast.

I am intrigued -  will you be targeting Tuna with the rod?

Edited by ZAFisher

I'll be kayak fishing for west coast of Panama inshore species (Roosterfish, Cubera Snapper, Schoolie Tuna, Jacks, Grouper etc).  I bought this blank because it 's was suggested for casting lighter weight poppers & stick bait (sub 100g)  vs. most other saltwater 2 piece popping blanks that usually are meant for casting topwaters 100+ g & handling the bigger offshore tuna. The resort guides recommended 60 braid & leaders & 10000 series spinning reels. Most of the fish will be 50 lbs & under, but wicked fighters. We'll be doing a lot of near shore fishing where there is structure coming up from deeper water, so the need for heavier lines/leaders. 

It does have a parabolic action.  Here's a youtube video with a guy using the same rod on some YFT in Panama...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DaRikXV8ss

Edited by BayportBob
gRaMMaRRRRR

that rod is too light for tuna. threadlock 50# is too much for that rod.

buy a book, tom kirkmans book i sa good starting point to learn basic guide spacing.

the magic eye dont bend deep into the butt section.

Edited by HellRaY

The 7'6 I have dealt with was pretty flexible under fishing load.

The videos on Youtube are done with Go Pros with extreme wide angle lenses and I suppose would exaggerate the bend.

Still think the factory has put the KW40 WAY to close to the reel.

On another note, its a personal preference of course but a 19" butt to stem distance will prove awkward on a 'yak. Tape on a seat, put a reel on and see how it feels sitting down.

14 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

The 7'6 I have dealt with was pretty flexible under fishing load.

this is not the the 753 OP is asking about the 804, i have built 2 of the 7'6'' for a member of this forum. xcluding another 5 for other people.

i have built 2-804 for the same member on this forum, excluding 3 for other people. PM username bruno.

this is the wrong blank for rooster and popping sub 100g, ask me how many rods i built for panama this year ranging from rooster, cubera, aj to 200# yft.

this magic eye doesnt bend deep into the butt section, that is false. this however is tippy and wrong blank for rooster and popping 100g.

rayscustomworks_3_8_2017_19_27_34_280.jpg

Edited by HellRaY

1 hour ago, HellRaY said:

this is the wrong blank for rooster and popping sub 100g, ask me how many rods i built for panama this year ranging from rooster, cubera, aj to 200# yft.

this magic eye doesnt bend deep into the butt section, that is false. this however is tippy and wrong blank for rooster and popping 100g.

Thanks for the input.  What is a good blank that is either 7'6" & under one piece or breaks down to under 7'6" for airline travel  & is good for sub 100g poppers & stick bait for the species I'll be pursuing?  TIA - Bob