luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - August 2017

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it?  ;)

Cant believe its August already!  Summer flying by

Was slow and slim last week on AIVA. Decent bar with a few good rips but not many willing fish and those that did show were micro.  Couldn't even manage a skate#

Fished the surf from 6:00-8:30 am this morning. High tide was about 7:00ish. Managed a kingfish. Used the head to catch a 24-30" shark. Believe it was a thrasher. Beautiful sun rise to boot. 

IMG_6539.JPG

IMG_6541.JPG

I'll have to look up the dusky.  Pretty shark.  Wasn't much of a fight. One final shot but pretty poor.  I was rushing to get it back into the water quickly.  Thanks for the correction. 

image.jpeg

Duskys and Sandbars will make up 85% of the sharks you beach in our area.  The next most likely would have to be a sandtiger.  You could get a spinner or blacktip occasionally.  

The interdorsal ridge is the "ridge" between the 2 dorsal fins.  If you see that then you have either a dusky or a sandbar.   Sandbars have a large first dorsal fin that originates over the pectoral fins.  The first dorsal fin on a dusky is smaller and originates behind the pectoral fins.  

Blacktips and spinners have deep black tips on their fins, and no interdorsal ridge.  Spinners have a black-tipped anal fin, while blacktips do not.  

In addition to the interdorsal ridge, you can also distinguish a blacktip/spinner from a dusky/sandbar by the teeth.  Duskys and sandbars have large triangular (and very regular) teeth on the upper jaw, and smaller pointy teeth on the lower jaw.  Blacktips and spinners have small pointy teeth on both jaws. 

You probably didn't want or need all that info, but it's in my brain....   

BTW, I would love....LOVE to catch a thresher from the beach

I actually just caught two tagged sharks the other day back to back. Both had blue rototags in the dorsal fin. Not sure if they were sandbar or dusky? I guess I'll find out later when NMFS processes the tag numbers. I was on the kayak and I usually cut the leader as close to the hook as possible whenever I deal with a shark or ray, but when I saw the tags I decided to try and land them. I had to one hand paddle, while still holding the rod, cross current to the marsh, which still had knee deep water over it, jump out, swim the shark in to the marsh, tail grab and flip the shark onto my kayak so it was out of the water, cut hook leader, remove tag, rough measure (40" & 47"), and release. Then jump back into kayak before the shark decided to possibly swim back into the marsh for revenge :laugh:

Unfortunately, they were not the targeted species of the trip. It was my second attempt this summer at a silver king from the kayak on the lower shore. I never got a hook in one either trip, but I did see them rolling and one jump completely out of the water. A cool sight for sure, but man-o-man does it sure makes it frustrating too!

Lots of sharks and rays to keep you busy as you wait. Big ones too. Biting through 100 mono without much effort.

19 minutes ago, castnet said:

I actually just caught two tagged sharks the other day back to back. Both had blue rototags in the dorsal fin. Not sure if they were sandbar or dusky? I guess I'll find out later when NMFS processes the tag numbers. I was on the kayak and I usually cut the leader as close to the hook as possible whenever I deal with a shark or ray, but when I saw the tags I decided to try and land them. I had to one hand paddle, while still holding the rod, cross current to the marsh, which still had knee deep water over it, jump out, swim the shark in to the marsh, tail grab and flip the shark onto my kayak so it was out of the water, cut hook leader, remove tag, rough measure (40" & 47"), and release. Then jump back into kayak before the shark decided to possibly swim back into the marsh for revenge :laugh:

Unfortunately, they were not the targeted species of the trip. It was my second attempt this summer at a silver king from the kayak on the lower shore. I never got a hook in one either trip, but I did see them rolling and one jump completely out of the water. A cool sight for sure, but man-o-man does it sure makes it frustrating too!

Lots of sharks and rays to keep you busy as you wait. Big ones too. Biting through 100 mono without much effort.

I would LOVE to explore that area for the silver king.....I took a charter down in key west in April and we had them rolling a good bit but never any hook ups. they are an amazing fish for sure!

Brian,

I have got a couple tags with the small Duskies over the years and sent info in.. You get a pretty cool hat.  I talked to the man from NOAA in DC headquarters when I was researching where to send info and told him I thought a tag fish was worth1 million dollars.  He said that was correct but after we take out all the taxes you end up with a hat LOL.  Coolest part was they send you the info on when/where it was tagged.

Tarpon from a kayak.  Sounds like a boat ride.

I fished the evening high tides last week in OC.  VERY slow for me as well as all those I chatted with.Heard of a few small sharks and one skate.  Fished one evening at the pier and was entertained by catching numerous silver perch from around the pilings as my main rigged soaked.  It's why they call it fishing and not catching!  But very enjoyable nonetheless

7 hours ago, Critter Gitter said:

Brian,

I have got a couple tags with the small Duskies over the years and sent info in.. You get a pretty cool hat.  I talked to the man from NOAA in DC headquarters when I was researching where to send info and told him I thought a tag fish was worth1 million dollars.  He said that was correct but after we take out all the taxes you end up with a hat LOL.  Coolest part was they send you the info on when/where it was tagged.

Tarpon from a kayak.  Sounds like a boat ride.

Yeah, they told me I get TWO hats. Woot Woot!

It'll be interesting to see where and when they were tagged. I've got a couple tagged fish over the years, but these were my first sharks. And two within 15 minutes of each other. What are the odds?

P2040013.thumb.JPG.6d666f0872f15929c3c312b569c78146.JPG

Saw a fish breach 3x Saturday as I was playing on the beach with the kids. About 1/2-1 mile out (estimated), fish was 5+ ft (estimated). Was long and slender and silvery, Came strait out of the water entirely shimmied in the air and landed on its side with a big splash. I have seen this before and never known what it could be. I am guessing maybe a king mackerel but that is just a dumb guess. Anyone have ideas?