1st REAL Tomato of the Year

Rate this topic

No, unfortunately not from my garden, that is a few weeks away (usually about August 12th). But got a couple from a farm market in West Bridgewater....

Cut one in quarters, just a little salt, and it was sheer heaven..... :drool:

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

I have a few Campari.  This is early for me except grape which I didn't grow this year.  You ever start the Campari?   It seems fairly productive for pretty small sparse plant.  I've got all tomatoes in big pots so it is more manageable vs the others that are going berserk and some with just a couple tomatoes.  Might be done with brandywine this time, disappointed last couple years

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

8 minutes ago, JimW said:

You ever start the Campari?  

Sore Subject ...... :laugh:

Bob G sent me two packets of seed to sprout this spring cause he has difficulties starting tomatoes from seed, and I offered to do it for him. I sowed the seed, and had 16+ beautiful seedlings in a community flat. when they got big enough, I transplanted them into 6-packs, and put them in a tray to bottom water them, like I always do.

Thing is, I forgot about them for about 3 days, and by the time I got them out and under the lights again upstairs, they were way waterlogged, and 2 days later they all damped off..... :o

I had a few seeds left and tried to re sow, but by then it as kinda late, and it just didn't work out. I felt like an ass..... :o

Edited by Steve in Mass

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

16 hours ago, JimW said:

I have a few Campari.  This is early for me except grape which I didn't grow this year.  You ever start the Campari?   It seems fairly productive for pretty small sparse plant.  I've got all tomatoes in big pots so it is more manageable vs the others that are going berserk and some with just a couple tomatoes.  Might be done with brandywine this time, disappointed last couple years

do your brandywine in the ground bad choice for pots unless you go extremely large 30gallon or bigger,  I do both pink and red and they come out great everytime biggest tastiest tomatoes ive grown.  I grow average of 70 tomato plants a year of various types. 

Edited by Green Crab

16 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Bob G sent me two packets of seed to sprout this spring cause he has difficulties starting tomatoes from seed, and I offered to do it for him. I sowed the seed, and had 16+ beautiful seedlings in a community flat. when they got big enough, I transplanted them into 6-packs, and put them in a tray to bottom water them, like I always do.

Thing is, I forgot about them for about 3 days, and by the time I got them out and under the lights again upstairs, they were way waterlogged, and 2 days later they all damped off..... :o

I had a few seeds left and tried to re sow, but by then it as kinda late, and it just didn't work out. I felt like an ass..... :o

Steve,

Don't worry about it, not a big deal.  I'll do them next year.

All my other plants are covered with green tomatoes, but none appear to be ripening soon. Had a few  cherries and patio. I think I'm a good 2 weeks away.

BTW, where are you guys getting all these Campari? Seeds or started plants?

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

16 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Hey, it's not like you didn't have enough on your mind this year.  

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

45 minutes ago, Green Crab said:

do your brandywine in the ground bad choice for pots unless you go extremely large 30gallon or bigger,  I do both pink and red and they come out great everytime biggest tastiest tomatoes ive grown.  I grow average of 70 tomato plants a year of various types. 

I don't have enough sun except in the driveway so figured worth a shot.  They didn't do much but I do like the 2-3 tomatoes I got

I think I'll probably try some different patio types next year.  

28 minutes ago, bob_G said:

Steve,

Don't worry about it, not a big deal.  I'll do them next year.

All my other plants are covered with green tomatoes, but none appear to be ripening soon. Had a few  cherries and patio. I think I'm a good 2 weeks away.

When you were discussing starting some with Steve I had a box of them on the counter and squeezed out some seeds.   Didn't know if they would grow or if would be true to type.   Seems they are.  The kumato I started also seem to be same as store bought but not ripe yet

33 minutes ago, Belmo said:

I had the first good one last night. A Black Krim. Its concentric cracks were like a pimple on a supermodel -- it was good. 

Krim has always been a favorite.  That's one that also seemed to ripen well off the vines at the end of the season 

My parents in PA picked their first ripe tomatoes yesterday.  Cherokee purple, planted seed inside March 17, into the ground May 15.  I start the seeds here in NYC and then take them to my parents for the garden.

first cherokee purple 2017.JPG

Edited by derangler
Fish the edges.

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

I buy my seeds for the campari from Burpee.  The name of theirs is mountain magic.  

Harvesting the seeds from store bought is iffy if you don't know the genetics of the one you have.  These are a hybrid.  If you find seeds that says F1 you can harvest the seeds from the fruit.  I never take the chance with the seeds from store bought produce.  It takes too much effort to find out what you planted is not really what you wanted.

I harvested another 6 this morning.  Seems to be ripening fast now.   The plants are near the Ct. River in western MA.

So far the tomatoes I've started from store fruit seem ok   Saved sun gold F1 and they reverted to a red cherry after a couple years

squash is another story.  Apparently I have a hybrid of delicata and zucchini.  Ugly things.

2 hours ago, JimW said:

Krim has always been a favorite.  That's one that also seemed to ripen well off the vines at the end of the season 

Am growing Krim for the first time this year, I think I put in 6 or 7. Have been getting them the last two years at Ward's where O buy corn, and they are great tasting. so this year decided to grow them here.

SOL Member #174