Walber8705

Whats your favorite method of catching striped bass and why

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

Surf yak boat doesnt matter, I have a stash of 40 yr old rebel poppers and I love using them. I can go fish for fish with guys flapping their arms like mad with 50 buck pencils.

Was fishing the jetties with metal lips. Nothing like that explosion right at your feet.

Now the jetties are buried under tons of sand and I'm heartbroken

How?- on foot, inland tidal rivers/marshes, rubber shads on jigheads or loaded redfins.

Why?- opportunities close to home.

Edited by pat the nat

Top water cinder block like M-80 explosions...I will find myself replaying them in slow motion in my mind. Why?: the anticipation, the visual adrenaline, the way you can work a fish into a frenzy, the violence, seeing a big cow tail slap your plug before coming back for the kill, the surprise of the hit, the misses, the jaw dropping everything freeze of a first timer when it finally happens, the "did you see that?" to an on-looker/fishing partner. Top water for me.  

Image result for striper bass hitting topwater

my love is fishing large wood swimmers on the surface[or deep] at night in rivers.

casting along and across the rips using the LDP method with a slow,steady crank then the smash and bang.

the sudden stop when you swing/connect then the surge,,,nothing like it at all!598161ced0d20_HHPlugWerxLDP717.JPG.ca205632d2d6d936c31f403e803982eb.JPG

As far as fly fishing goes, any fish in the ocean surf is awesome. Swinging flies in heavy rips is killer as well and might be my all time favorite

non fly rodding, I've got a thing for soft plastics or plugs. The latter I've caught the most big fish on. 

Edited by lisurfer49

JIGS!!! Why? Cuz I can FEEL! And FEELING is SEEING!

The jig is my hand which then becomes my eyes. Not only can I feel depth, but I can feel the composition of the bottom. I can tell a rocky bottom from a sandy bottom from a muddy bottom from a weedy bottom. I can find mussel beds. I can find eel grass sections, contours, drops, holes, etc. The jig is my sonar. I can even tell when I hit the body of a fish. It has a different feel to it. I sometimes find schools of fish that are just there and not feeding or going anywhere. They are just parked. When this happens, I let the jig sink into the school and then give just a little jerk. I can usually pluck a scale off of a fish. The scale on my hook is then examined. I can then see the size of fish I'm dealing with. This happened just last week actually. I don't need no stinkin electronics! The jig is my fish finder, depth finder, and sonar. Oh... And my BIGGEST fish are usually on jigs. Countless larges (ova 40") every year. No problem. Jigs rule! :)

Edited by night owl

I love catching bass livelining. I know a lot of people think there's not much skill in it but there is something awesome about watching a big fish chase a live bunker across the top of the water before inhaling it

Hard to beat catching them on topwater plugs too...